Stacking armor?

Are there rules how armor stacks/doesn’t stack?
It seems that this is not covered, but in some configurations it is plausible.

If its not covered, maybe you can remit yourself to the Mutant Year Zero RAW, the source, if you have it.

I don’t have the rulebook. Can you share how the rules are there?

I dont either :rofl:

1 Like

Winging it here, but I believe that you only apply the best armour rating of what you’re wearing - if you for some reason are wearing two layers, you only apply the best.

Cover adds its rating to your armour rating (I believe).

Shields are also added to worn armour rating.

If I recall everything correctly, my character doesn’t rely on armour … I rely on not being shot in the first place. :smiley: :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I will go with some on-the -spot decision based on the types of armor that are going to be stacked.

1 Like

“I rely on not getting shot in the first place.”

Very wise, given how deadly combat can be in the Third Horizon.

In addition, if a player wants to stack armour then as a GM I would consider how they end up looking.

Do they look like a tank? That’s going to draw attention - and an official, armed response - in any populated area. If some faction’s private army doesn’t get you, the locals will surely band together to ensure you don’t cause trouble.

My players have only just started their adventures in the Third Horizon and their first adventure was in a remote location. I will warn them when they are about to enter their first populated area that carrying firearms in the open or wearing combat gear is likely to get them killed. Suddenly, that Carbine doesn’t look like as attractive a choice as the Vulcan Cricket…

1 Like

Setting a Coriolis parallel contemporary in these days, Imagine a guy crossing the malls food court in swat armour. What would your reaction be?

2 Likes

He’s probably really hungry to come here dressed like that?

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Mine would be FLIGHT to authorities!

1 Like

Shoot at him, because I wear the same armour and he is not from my party? :smiley:

1 Like

Oh my goodness: I think I’ve been to that mall.

1 Like

Its paintball chaos in Coriolis, only with live rounds!

1 Like

Said source doesn’t allow stacking of armor, but allows armor + shield.

You can only wear one type of armor at a time. (MYZ, 88)

You can carry a shield and wear armor at the same time – when you get hit, first roll for the shield, then for the armor. (MYZ, 88)

Cover can be combined with armor – roll for cover first, then for armor. (MYZ, 89)

looking in Coriolis…

Rugged Talent

The talent counts as “armor” with an Armor Rating of 3 against natural damage. (Coriolis, 73)

Resistant Talent

The talent counts as “armor” with an Armor Rating of 6 against natural damage. You can combine Resistant with Rugged, for a total Armor Rating of 9 against natural damage. (Coriolis, 74)

Body Armor Cyberware

The implant’s rating is added to any other armor you may wear as well. (75)

General rule on Armor:

You can only wear one suit of armor at a time. (Coriolis, 92-93)

General rule on Cover

Cover and armor can be combined. Simply add the dice together. (Coriolis 93)

I’d say that the general principle is aimed at simplicity… as cyberarmor stacks with worn, and both with cover, it’s not the AV that’s the issue - it’s the mobility (or lack thereof) imposed by two layers of armor.

Certain combinations (such as a rigid chestplate over a soft ballistic suit) might add, but might be better stated as a new suit type.

2 Likes

Those are good general rules and guidelines. Thanks for sharing them.

I’d add my own house rule: If players are trying to metagame the mechanic to gain an advantage by stacking armour, then as GM I’d impose a “your hero looks like a dork” rule to cancel the advantage.

:rofl:

If you add a shield, you’re going to be easier to hit because you won’t be able to dodge, and so on.

In addition, I’m no expert on armour but it seems to me that most of it is designed as a system, and there have to be some penalties to mixing and matching. In your example of a rigid chest plate and a soft ballistic suit, that soft ballistic suit better be designed to work with that rigid chest plate, or that plate might tear it. That solidifies your argument that it should be spec’d as a new suit type.

“May the Judge not convict you for cowardice!”

Adding a shield has almost no impact in the real world on dodging ability. Nor does good fitting mail, nor proper lamelar. The only thing that matters is that the fit is good, and you’re familiar with it, and not overburdened by the mass.
Dodging is a legs and lower-torso thing. (seriously- dodging a rapier thrust is almost all in the lower back and belly; Dodging a swing is stepping back or ducking.)

It does reduce the willingness of many to dodge, and renders dodges less needed, but it makes no difference as long as the weight isn’t a problem.

Active parry with a shield can get tiring, tho’. But note the word Active. There’s also a very passive role, that of “it’s going to hit the shield, so I don’t need to do anything” that a skilled fighter does almost instinctively. And a typical wooden shield can take MANY hits from live steel - they are nowhere near as frangible as most games attempt to make them.

I’ve done plenty enough armed martial arts… over 20 years of experience across several different forms.

My 14" targe has 8 years of near weekly use, just a plywood round, leather straps, and a sheet of leather over it and stapled, and the rebated steel has not even resulted in any noticeable marks, nor mush. And that’s without the traditional hobnails… It’s never impeded my dodging ability, only my need to do so.

2 Likes