STA on Fantasy Grounds

So, was there ever a resolution to the Star Trek Adventures on Fantasy Grounds Question. It seemed to have hit a dead end a few months ago and the developer went completely silent. As far as Smite works had reported the Dev’s last submission was October of last year. Any updates?

Does anyone have any info on this?

The last couple of Modiphius stuff for Fantasy Grounds was done by a different devs. The Dev, NerdEye, who did the Conan ruleset and was working on the Star Trek one was reported to have moved on to other stuff according to a post on the Fantasy Grounds forums I read. Currently people are wanting the Conan ruleset to be taken over and fixed by Smite Works, given how bad the NerdEye version for Fantasy Grounds is of Conan, and for Smite Works to do the Star Trek one.

1 Like

Thank you.

3 Likes

Very cool. It’s worth noting that Fantasy Grounds Unity licenses are 25% right now for 12 days ('til Oct 23 2022).

• Personal logs and intercepted communications by Starfleet Intelligence provide a new perspective on Star Trek and its events.

Is this exclusive to the ruleset, or is it in some of the STA pdfs?

It’s literally part of the core book’s back cover text. All of our books include sidebars that are alternately personal logs, intercepted comms, translated reports, etc.

1 Like

Oh, haha, it’s been a long time since I actually looked at that part of the pdf. I didn’t realize the FG description was pulled right from the back of the book.

Does this ruleset include only things from the Starfleet core book, or are any other books included? (The screenshot with modules includes things like ‘species,’ ‘talents,’ and ‘ship frames’ which are added to in nearly every book.)

It’s specifically core book content. I think content from other books is forthcoming, but not sure on that.

1 Like

I think other books are going to converted from a reply post to question I asked about the ruleset on the Fantasy Grounds forums today. Adding in other Talents, Frames, etc. into a Fantasy Grounds module, so things don’t have to be cut and pasted is easy till other stuff gets converted if your new to Fantasy Grounds and want stuff not in the core book. Making a FG module is also a great way to spot typos and errors in books I’ve found too.

One thing that the preview pics on the Fantasy Grounds store doesn’t show much of is that you get a bunch of character tokens with the Fantasy Grounds ruleset.

I can post a quick thoughts on the ruleset with some screenshots in the next day or two if anyone wants to know how good it is. So far I like the ruleset.

Huh. If they just do “transcribe” rules (“I know what the stats should be and I just want to transcribe them into Fantasy Grounds”), that’s probably true. But if they’re trying to enforce any of the character creation rules, they’re gonna find the Players’ Guide tricksy.

BCing you

3 Likes

One of the screen shoots on the product page for the rule set shows a tab labeled character creation, but I see no way to bring that up in the rule set. I’m going to ask about that on the Fantasy Grounds forums.

One problem I did notice is that on the character sheet you have a button to click for role on the ship, but you have no way to add in other roles from other books and can only chose from the ones in the core book. The developer is aware of this and recommended using the notes section for the time being and said the rule set would evolve as supplemental books were added.

I also wish that the special rule that a role could give could be linked like a talent to a sheet like a like a talent, so you just click it and brings up the rules for it. Most player’s especially new ones tend to forget about them I’ve noticed when I’ve run games. The developer is aware of this also. I’m going through all the books and making note of the roles in them and page numbers so the developer can be aware of them when ruleset gets updated.

This might be helpful: https://airtable.com/shrspkhtUn0Mc42UJ An Airtable with all the roles and their pages (I can hide the descriptions columns from this view if Modiphius deems that necessary.) (Pressing spacebar while an entry is selected opens a pop up with the full info, so you don’t have to scroll over.)

Edit: The KDF pages might be off, since I used the preorder version at the time; I also don’t have UP (yet), so if that book has any roles they are not included.

1 Like

It is in such moments that I feel old.

Back in my days, we’d just take some sheets of paper, took our notes and did the math ourselves, THAC0 and all. :wink:

3 Likes

New generations need new tools. We’re in a different world now.

2 Likes

Come, come, Mr. X. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant!

1 Like

Oh, I am. All I say is that one should not expect a dumb tool like a computer to be as versatile as a sheet of graph paper. It is not.

When we do the math ourselves, most of the logic behind it is subconciously hidden from us. It actually is quite a deal to transpose this into Code. And STA is a system with few constraints. Too few actually to be properly transformed into an PC Game, if you ask me.

Do I want to talk s.o. out of their tools? Hell, no! Do I look down on them? Of course not, as long as they have fun!!

Yet, the ‘problems’ with certain logics not being implemented or certain information not being accessible at once – that’s not going away 100%.

1 Like

They best way for stuff like from the character creation rules is to enter in stuff manually and use pen and paper or the online generator and not use the ruleset generator if you’re using the Player’s Guide. The developer was only given the Core book to work with.

I’ve got about 20 things to be aware of when using the ruleset that I’ve compiled last night typed up into a word file and am finalizing to post to help out or answer how to do somethings that aren’t obvious, and avoid headaches with the ruleset.

Haven’t seen anyone do a video tutorial on the ruleset yet or a video talking about how to use it. Could be an idea for a Continuing Conversations video.

The Ruleset has an entry on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki it helps with something, but not others.

Star Trek Adventures 2d20 - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net)

*nod*

That seems pretty consistent with the (only) VTT game I’m currently playing in (an online Coriolis game): created the character manually, and transcribed that into the VTT tool.

Like Mister X, I’m practically the crypt-keeper in terms of age, so I confess that I haven’t yet felt the strong pull of VTT environments, but it’s been good to try out the experience.

BCing you

I’m up there in age and remember having to spend hours making a paper and pencil character and filling out a character sheet fully neatly for AD&D.

I got into Fantasy Grounds because I purchased a copy of Campaign Cartographer, and was watching a tutorial video and Fantasy Grounds was mentioned. I looked into it and ended up saving and buying it on a sale and I mostly use it in the past for non-VTT games as I like how it can organize stuff and prevents a lot of book flipping. When I used it for online games the experience goes great and meeting up with friends in person is more difficult than to just use a VTT now for gaming now.

A computer makes some things easier but isn’t perfect. I’ve had in a lot of other game systems used spreadsheets and other computer aids to calculate things and they got calculated incorrectly and that I prefer paper and pencil for doing the math for some games cause of this.

If you’re playing with just the Core rules the Character Generator in the Fantasy Grounds rules works great to introduce someone to the game and make a character quickly.

I don’t have net access all the time so I use pen and paper or the Hero Lab fan authored generator. The Hero lab is my favorite of the computer tools to use as I can have it include the talents descriptions on a character sheet a character has, but that isn’t perfect and can’t do everything and I’ve seen it make mistakes with Savage Worlds characters due to how things were coded.

I agree with Mr. X that the computer isn’t as versatile as sheet of graph paper. Sometimes doing something on a computer can take longer too to set up. But sometimes the computer is faster and better than paper and pencil.

The computer is a tool and is best treated as one that one uses sometimes and at other times one doesn’t want to.

1 Like