Recovering Stress whIle in a Scene?

I asked thIs on RPGGeek, but wanted to post here too.

Last time my group played through Act 2 of A Star Beyond the Stars. The crew took quite a few stress in an intrascene combat encounter. I could not find rules for recovering stress while in a scene ANYWHERE!

Are there rules to recover a few stress within a scene? I do know they recover between scenes. That’s all I saw anywhere. I let the doc patch everyone up a little.

Thanks for the input!

On Page 173 in the Core Rules you will find the Recover Action for Combat.

As well it should be. Pertinent example to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOWoy_dLX0U

The recover action allows you to spend Momentum to recover Stress, but as a houserule (because it isn’t always suitable), I sometimes allow a character to use a hypospray of stimulant or mild painkillers (Daring + Medicine), or some reassuring words (Presence + Command) to let an ally recover Stress equal to the skill used, +1 per Momentum (Repeatable). I tend to go with Difficulty of 2 base, so it isn’t immediate or automatic, but it’s a good way to get back into the fight in a prolonged conflict.

1 Like

It was after combat, before preceeding. The away team didn’t want to proceed while so near to their threshold.

Sounds like I didn’t miss it anywhere. Maybe a small topic for the Sciences book!

Plus the combat medic can do a first aid action, once per target per scene. Ops Division book.

This makes sense. In my real life experience, cracking a joke at an appropriate time can definitely reduce the stress and help everyone think more clearly.