How does stress recovery work?

Page 67 of the John Carter rulebook says this:

Alternately, characters can spend a conflict action to recover their own stress using the attribute test listed beside ‘recover with’ in the damage type heading.

But it gives no further details on how this would work. What’s the Difficulty of the test? How many stress do you recover if you succeed?

Hullo, Issac,

Yes, it does. The fourth and fifth paragraphs of the first column on page 67.

The Difficulty is one higher than having someone else help you, meaning Daunting (D3), uses the two Attributes relevant to the type of Affliction injury, and heals 1 Affliction.

In terms of Stress damage, that recovers at the end of an Action scene, unless the next scene continues immediately from where the Action scene ended. You can also spend Momentum (repeatable) to recover a point of Stress from one track.

Or did you mean something else?

JohnK

I may be misreading, but the fourth and fifth paragraphs on page 67 seem to be referring to recovering from afflictions, rather than recovering stress itself. It’s the question of recovering stress itself during an action scene which I’m asking about.

Page 67 says this:

…characters can spend a conflict action to recover their own stress using the attribute test listed beside ‘recover with’ in the damage type heading.

So, assuming you’re in the middle of an action scene and you want to recover from Stress points, this tells me how to find the attributes you’d be using in the test.

It doesn’t tell me anything about the difficulty of the test, or how you would resolve the results.

Again, talking about stress points and not afflictions. It says “characters can spend a conflict action to recover their own stress” and it tells you how to find the attributes you’d use to make that test.

Once you know the attributes used to make that test (to recover Stress points rather than afflictions), what’s the difficulty of the test? How does succeeding at the test determine how many Stress points you’d recover from?

I got an email from Modiphius support, who answered my questions.

The difficulty of the check to recover stress is decided by the GM, based on circumstances, and with a successful check, you can use Momentum to recover stress, as usual!

2 Likes

Hullo, Isaac,

Been re-reading the material in the rulebook, and that was what I had concluded as well. Glad to hear the folks at Modiphius (do you know who it was?) got back to you with an answer to this.

What a shame that someone associated with the game didn’t actually reply to the question here in the Official forums, though.

JohnK