Q'plah! A new addition to STA is coming

Just the cover. Contents will otherwise be the same.

1 Like

I bought the pdf preview and the email that I received had a license key included. Can anyone tell me what this is for and how you enter it in Adobe Acrobat? I’ve been searching menus and Google for over an hour and my brain is suffering a cascade failure :slight_smile:

Qapla’
(please tell me it’s spelled correctly in the book)

What does updated version of the system mean?

We revised the advancement and reputation rules and added a clarity polish to everything else. Essentially the same rule set but a clearer presentation of it.

@MikeStanley: No idea. Best to email support@modiphius.com and ask. I’m not aware of any license keys being emailed; just the PDFs.

1 Like

@Modiphius-Jim

According to the email release:

Purchasers of the PDF on Modiphius.net will receive as special code which can be redeemed against any future print purchase and buyers on DriveThruRPG can contact support@modiphius.net to take advantage of a similar offer.

Matter of terminology, I guess. A license key and a coupon code are very different things, in my experience.

1 Like

Question about the Great House creation rules:

At first glance, I read it that if you create a character who hails from a House (and obviously create the House), you start with higher stats and an extra talent and focus, but I didn’t see any cost to offset those benefits at character creation.

Do you just start off as a more capable character if you’re from a Great House? Or did I miss the cost you pay for that? Or, is the “cost” that by making your character come from a Great House, you begin the game with obligations to the House (and also begin with whatever enemies the House has, before you even make any of your own)?

In terms of your character’s stats, a Great House replaces the homeworld and caste parts of the normal lifepath, and providesn the same amount of stuff to those two steps added together (1 Value, 1 Talent, 1 Focus, 4 points into Attributes, 2 points to Disciplines), just arranged differently.

Characters from a Great House have the benefit of being able to access a couple of talents distinct to their type of House, and being able to leverage their house’s resources and reputation… but at the cost of responsibilities to that House in turn.

2 Likes

The vessel scale chart on page 183 lists the Federation Sovereign-class starship as a Scale 5. It’s a Scale 6 ship in the Command book.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s the part I missed in my first read through it.

Thanks! Noted for the next edit pass.

I love everything about this. I have had zero concept for how to write a compelling Star Trek adventure from the Federation’s perspective. I just can’t wrap my brain around it.

Klingons I get.

Why does the Klingon Shuttlepod (a Small Craft) have department modifiers instead of fixed ratings? Does it select a mission profile?

1 Like

B’rel space frame has Scale 4, it should be Scale 3. It is listed correctly in the vessel scale table.

And very nice that you used this book to polish the system. Finally Stress goes up from 0 and not the other way around.

1 Like

“In 2375, Lieutenant Worf defeated Chancellor Gowron in just such a contest and was immediately recognized as the Empire’s new chancellor” (p. 43).

This should say “Lieutenant Commander Worf” as that was his rank in 2375.

3 Likes

“When Chancellor K’mpec revealed that he was dying, only two warriors petitioned to succeed him – Gowron, and Chancellor Duras” (p.53).

This should say “High Councillor Duras” as Duras never became Chancellor.

3 Likes

The write of Worf on page 342 is interesting. I’d say he should have a mek’leth, he uses one all the time, and barely uses a d’k tahg.
I would also recommend moving the Klingon language way up the front and the adventures to the back. Also would it be possible to add a small chart of pronunciation for special characters like tlh ’ H and S?

2 Likes

For the K’vort/K’Vort bird-of-prey, is there any reason why the “v/V” is capitalized at times and not capitalized at others? In the original core rulebook, it is never capitalized (i.e., it is always K’vort never K’Vort).

1 Like

From page 223:
Crisis Response and Interception
These vessels are equipped to respond quickly to a crisis
anywhere in the Empire, whatever it may be. These vessels
are capable of maintaining high warp velocities for longer
periods to intercept intruders, extensive shuttlebays for use
in moving emergency supplies or for boarding actions, and
may also serve as troop transports for planetary invasions.

There needs to be a verb (or verb phrase) before “extensive shuttlebays” in the second sentence. Perhaps insert “may possess” in to make it read as:

Crisis Response and Interception
These vessels are equipped to respond quickly to a crisis
anywhere in the Empire, whatever it may be. These vessels
are capable of maintaining high warp velocities for longer
periods to intercept intruders, may possess extensive shuttlebays for use
in moving emergency supplies or for boarding actions, and
may also serve as troop transports for planetary invasions.

1 Like

Page 219: The Par’tok-class Transport has the Targ-Pit Trait and is a Scale 5 vessel. According to the rules on page 204, all Klingon vessels of Scale 5+ have Targ-Pts as a standard feature and will not have them listed.

Also:
There is inconsistent use of battle cruiser (open compound) vs. battlecruiser (closed compound) throughout the document. It would be best practice to use one form consistently. The open compound form appears far more often in the text than the closed compound form, but I believe that the closed form is generally accepted as being preferred.

2 Likes