Q'plah! A new addition to STA is coming

That is correct.

3 Likes

Don’t see why not. You’ll likely have to tweak the admiralty rules to adjust for the KDF vs Starfleet, but you should be able to use the division books content, even though Klingons don’t have the same divisions as such (at least from what we can tell from canon, anyway).

The plot component stuff in the various chapter 5’s could be used too, would likely have to adapt to account for the different roles on the ship. Ship’s cook would be operations or sciences, I imagine…

1 Like

I’m assuming this map is featured on the front and back inside covers? Why not translate the back version? Doesn’t seem like good practice to include content that is useless to customers without buying someone else’s product.

I like the idea of a pronunciation sidebar if there was space available. Would definitely add to the immersion of any games being run from this book

I really like that this has become a product, and the collectors edition is stunning!

The front endpapers have the Klingon map. The back endpapers have an updated Alpha/Beta map like the ones in the Starfleet core, with English labels.

3 Likes

Vo’n’talk is smaller than D5 and has size 3.

I think two of the weak points of the STA system were the advancements and the reputation. And this seems now much better in the Klingon book.

But regarding reputation, unless I read that incorrectly, it seems that only players are supposed to spend Glory and Shame. You should add/clarify that the GM can also spend Shame for a character. Otherwise the character could theoretically accumulate Shame without any serious consequences. It would be more fun if the GM was allowed to spend that Shame as well, thus creating hostile NPCs when it fits the story or even initiate a court martial.

That is, a D’k tagh in their back? :smiley:

Maybe not in their back because that would be dishonorable :slight_smile:
But if a superior officer has too much Shame, a subordinate NPC might indeed try to kill them. That’s allowed on a Klingon ship.

1 Like

The main effect of unspent Shame is to increase the chances of suffering more shame in subsequent adventures: the table on p132 covers this (dishonor grows if not addressed). It might not seem like a huge burden, but it can pile up.

But that‘s my point. What does ist matter if a character gets more Shame and ends up with like 100 Shame (besides role playing implications)? That‘s why I think you should allow the GM to spend the Shame for that character to avoid having players hoarding it.

And I think it makes sense, too. If a character behaves dishonorably, others will act on that.

I for one will play it that way. If an officer accumulates 5 or more Reprimands, it‘s court martial time.

1 Like

BTW is there any art of the Pach’Nom class in the book?

The Vor’cha is referred to as a destroyer in its own entry, but under the text for the Negh’Var, the Vor’cha is called an attack cruiser. In many previous works, it has been described as an attack cruiser. Is there a reason that it is called a destroyer in this game?

Can this book be used instead of the STA Federation themed core rule book for all of your STA needs? Or, will both be necessary in order to attain the flexibility to play in either the Federation/Star Fleet or the Klingon Empire?

Also, will the deluxe edition have bookmark ribbons?

1 Like

I think that depends on your definition of “necessary” and your understanding of “flexibility”. :wink:
The book is announced to be a full Core Rulebook (with revised rules). While I have yet to order mine (i.e. I do not have the possibility to do an in-depth check, yet), I am quite sure that you can play an STA game with either one and not necessarily both. Considering just the game mechanics, i.e. momentum/threat, checks etc., here.

But the Klingon book will focus on Klingons and present some different roles than the Federation themed Core Rules. I do not expect too many federation starship hulls in the klingon books, just like there are not too many klingon hulls in the standard core rules. This, and probably the overall presentation of the rules as well as hints to mission design, flavoru of background-information etc. will differ. You were always able to run a Klingon game with the Core Rules, and I’m pretty sure that you will be able to run a Federation/Starfleet game with the Klingon Core Rules. Either way, reaching beyond the focus of the respective book will require tweaking and interpretation of the contents and how they’re presented.

Uh, that I am interested in, too! :slight_smile:

The book was written for a specifically Klingon focus, but there’s no reason you couldn’t use the rules as is in a Starfleet game. There’s very little content in the Klingon book for non-Klingon species though, so you’d want at least some of the quadrant books to fill out some of the species, or use the online character generator to make some Starfleet characters.

As for ribbons, I don’t recall if we priced that, but I’ll check. For the moment it’s the book with the debossed leatherette cover.

2 Likes

Are you still looking for errata/clarifications before the book goes to print? I’ve pointed out several here in this thread, but is there somewhere else you’d rather have them?

From my reading I’d say if you can build your character with another method like say the Character builder or a friend has a copy of the Federation Core Rule Book you can definitely just focus on the rules on the Klingon book everything is presented a lot better and more concisely than they were originally. The benefit of having 3 years to reiterate existing rules.
The fluff will be off and the ship roles will all be a bit off though.

Yes, I mentioned earlier in the thread that any errata or typos can be posted here or emailed to me directly at jim at modiphius.com.

1 Like

I finally got my hands on the PDF and – I love it! Yes, of course, the layout and art are beautiful, but it’s the improvements I enjoy the most. I have yet to delve into everything, but the new Glory/Shame (Acclaim/Reprimands) system is way better than the original reputation system (which I already liked pretty much!). There are some points I have, but I will discuss them in a separate thread.

The mission briefs are a very good outline to streamline adventure-creation (which is especially useful for those of us with not too much time :wink: ) and I’ll definetly use this structure for my own adventures, together with the outline on p. 283.
(By the way, there’s a typo on p. 308 on the Mission Brief “Subversion”: Suggested Spotlight Role is the “First Officera”. :wink: )

The random lists of species’… distinctivenesses on p. 275 are very nice (I missed this in the original core book – or did I forget about it?! Edit: Found it on p. 290 in the Core Rules. Funny how a different orientation of a table can make it seem all new :smiley: ) and the part about Klingon language… so. cool.

But I have to admit that the part I most enjoy is that this:

… is now official. :smiley:

The “Shifts” sidebar says that shifts are 6 hours long, but it then says the Sleep Shift is “the eight hours allotted to your rest.”

How long is a Klingon standard day? Is it 24 hours? if so, then three 8-hour shifts is probably best (and would be easiest for players to follow). Otherwise, you might need 4 (or more) shifts, and that doesn’t mesh perfectly with the first, second, and third officers each running their shift (with the captain running all whenever he feels like it).