Picard era campaign? Ideas please

This is a lie which has spread through the internet like a virus. It is utterly false.

Also, you mean “canon”, not “cannon”.

7 Likes

Thanks for correcting my spelling.

The three I was think of was Juliana, Lore, and Soong. I miss-remembered “Brothers” and thought he was an android in that. yes Lore was disassembled, but he still exists, and is an actual functioning android, unlike B4. they specifically brought up B4 being not that useful, but I bet Lore would be. And I bet Maddox would get desperate enough to use him.

1 Like

Very good point - given what we’ve seen so far!

1 Like

bah what do you know, you’re only a lisence holder who no doubt works closely with CBS! some random dude with a hate on for discovery and a youtube channel is clearly a better resource! I mean, there’s no good reason to re design a ship designed in 1960 something for a series made for high definition TVs 60 years later! :slight_smile:

regarding the Picard Era I’d advise against using starfleet intelligence too much for spoilery reasons.

5 Likes

What if a Picard adventure was set in an alternate universe so it would be easier to run you could also build your own version of Picard’s history.

You’re the GM. I think every RP game out there has ended up being its own alternative universe eventually.

As long as the players understand the variances from canon it is all good.

1 Like

Thanks you

I’ve been thinking about this a bit and the issue that popped in my mind was about ship progression. There seem to be at least one maybe two generations of scale 5-6 “Flag classes” post Sovereign shown in Picard.
I’ve spent some time on this. Now in 2399 an Ambassador is entitled to 6 refits, a Galaxy is entitled to 4 refits, and a Sovereign is entitled to 2. Because the galaxy starts with a total of 58 systems and the sovereign starts with 60 they both end up with a total of 62 systems Ambassadors don’t get their 7th refit till 2405 so the get 61 total systems. The Excelsior class gets 11 so they are also at 62 but Constitutions maxed at 12 refits and 58 total systems even if they aren’t all retired.
Other considerations:
Scale and Talent progression, Excelsiors are Scale 5 with 3 Talents, Ambassadors S5T4, Galaxy S6T4, Sovereign S6T5.
Max System progression, Excelsior 3x9’s, Ambassador 1x10, Galaxy 4x10, Sovereign 2x11
Interestingly the Defiant class is the only one with a system higher than 11 (weapons 13) and she has one fewer total system than the other ships of her age (ignoring the inexplicably impotent Sabers).
No ship after the Ent period ships (Daedalus and NX) has more Talents then it’s Scale.
My take away:
A ship of the same class as the Ibn Majid (Odyssey? Call them 2380’s?) could be stated with 61 systems 3-5 of which could be 11’s and a single refit, Scale 6 with 6 talents or Scale 7 with 5 talents?
A ship of the same class as the Zheng He (Curiosity? 2390’s?) Could be stated with 62 total systems 1 or 2 of which could be 12’s Scale 6 or 7 (I’m not sure I’d take a Federation ship past 6) and 7 or 6 talents (I’d personally rather blow the “complexity” cap then the size).
Smaller and more specialized ships could have higher single stats (as high as 15 maybe) but should probably pay some trade-off in terms of fewer talents or fewer total systems.
I’d also consider moving the refit cap up from 12 to 13 or 14 for ships newer then the Sovereigns if your campaign goes late enough.

1 Like

The Defiant-class was based around a prototype that was ‘finished’ in the field, and essentially the lower systems overall compensate for being allowed an exceptional Weapons capability.

Michael Chabon (Picard’s showrunner), during his Instagram Q&As, has stated that the U.S.S. Ibn Majid is a Curiosity-class cruiser, and that they are commonly named after explorers, particularly those overlooked in history due to societal biases.

He later suggested that the Zheng He was another Curiosity-class, but later clarified that the ships seen in the fleet in the season finale were Inquiry-class heavy cruisers (two variants of that design were seen, with different nacelles). There were two other classes approved for that scene which didn’t make the final version, the Equity-class carrier and the Seeker-class explorer.

3 Likes

Right, Curiosity and Inquiry. Reading into your summary of Mr. Chabon’s comments we might even consider the Inquiry a major refit along the lines of the constitution refit. Would you say that’s fair?

That is what I assumed about the Defiant’s stat balance. Do you have any insight into what is going on with the Saber? Her Systems are two lower than the Defiant even though they have the same service year, the same scale, and Saber has no exceptional system.

also it has come to my attention that all ships are ment to have talents = Scale. I regret the error.

Not all ships are created equal. This system makes them all perform far closer in performance than any previous system, but whether that is a feature or a bug depends on point of view. Simply put, the Saber is not a top-of-the-line model of starship; it’s a little ship that tries hard, but ultimately it’s not first rate.

1 Like