Non-Combat-Damage, Hit Locations and Soak

Not sure if I missed something, but I am trying to figure how damage outside of combat works. Is damage from other sources than combat, like falling damage or damage from complications subject to reduction by soak from armor? And thus, is it necessary to roll for hit location in these circumstances?

Also, the damage from a “normal” complication seems pretty low with 2 CD, if this damage was done outside of combat, it could be regenerated immediately, after a quick rest. What’ s the point of this kind of damage?

If there is nothing in the description, then damage is reduced by soak. And if it is reduced by soak, you should roll for a hit location where it makes sense. When falling, it totally makes sense to roll hit location. You should do what feels appropriate.

I agree that most of the time 2 [CD] of damage outside of combat doesn’t matter most of the time. But keep in mind that the damage does not regenerate immediately, only after the end of the scene. This means there could be combat before taking the damage (which means the character may already be low on stress) or there could be combat after (which means the character starts combat with 2-4 stress missing). Also there could be other sources of damage in that scene.

As a GM I would not use a Complication to inflict 2 [CD] damage outside of combat, unless I plan that stress management be very important for that scene.

Thank you, you cleared up a lot for me, but also gave me another question: As far as I read it, action scenes (i.e. combat) are standing alone from other scenes, thus, shouldn’ t it be true that before an action scence starts, another scene ends, thus healing stress of any kind?

It all depends on the narrative. If you have a group that just ponders through the woods and are attacked by picts and wolves, it makes sense that they make a short rest after they have slaughtered everything. Thus the scene is over.

But imagine a dramatic chase through the woods. The party must either evade enemies or fight them. They don’t have any time to loose and can’t rest, thus I would not end the scene after each encounter.

Also, if there is a surprise attack, I wouldn’t start a new scene (unless it happens during respite). Basically, I structure scenes in a way that best fits the narrative and dramatic tension. If characters have time for a short rest and drama is low, that should be used to end a scene.

3 Likes

Alright, it seems that I got stuck too much on the wording and forget about the logical sequence of things. Thank you for helping :slight_smile: Your last sentence is actually a great advise, I will keep that in mind!