No Mercy Talent

says,

When making a Melee attack, you may re-roll a number of damage dice equal to the total number of Melee talents (and ranks in those talents) you have acquired, if desired. You must accept the results of the re-rolls.

I don’t see any, so I’m asking, are there any other talents that re-roll similar to No Mercy?

I’m not quite sure if I understand you correctly, but the Accurate talent lets you re-roll damage dice from ranged attacks, and the Artillerist talent lets you re-roll for siege weapons.

1 Like

Reroll dice amount based on Talent count and their ranks.

And there is a Momentum Spend called “Re-roll Damage” that will let you re-roll any number of combat dice. As was clarified by one of the game designers in another thread, any die that is re-rolled cannot be re-re-rolled, even if by a different mechanism, so you cannot use the No Mercy/Accurate/Artillerist Talent and the Re-roll Damage Momentum Spend on the same dice.

What I am missing regarding those damage re-roll Talents is one for Mental Damage rolls caused by Displays/Threaten attacks.

Even in Infinity, where you have four types of damage (close combat, ranged combat, quantronic (hacking) damage, psywar (social) damage), there is no Talent that allows re-rolling the social/mental damage dice.

Considering the importance and the often significant effect Threaten attacks can have in Conan, I would expect such a Talent to exist, even to be the root Talent in the Persuade Talent tree - as is the case with close combat and ranged combat.

Hey, @FrankF,

If you know, please tell me the number of talents in Infinity that work the same way No Mercy does. What i mean is, does every Skill Tree have a talent that allows re-rolls like NM or do most of them re-roll one die?

I ask b/c i just did lots of work ‘improving’ a vtt conan char sheet in way that allows players to track ranks, and going off of somone else’s suggestion, did a lot of work i am unsure was necessary based on Conan only having one talent that works as NM does, if any of that makes sense.

Well, Persuade doesn’t allow for re-rolls (but remember, everyone gets that 1 Momentum-cost Spend that allows you to re-roll up to the entire combat die pool!), but it does have Strong-Arm Tactics, up to Rank 3, which gives Piercing X to your Threaten attacks!

Our nobleman character – who does the most Threatening – has a 14 Personality (Ancient Bloodline) and even if he only does Heed My Words, he’s tossing 6 combat dice. A fairly average roll would be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, for 5 points with 2 Effects. Since he has Strong-Arm Tactics 3, that roll means 5 points Piercing 6. His cruel wit cuts like a lightsaber, even through the most hardened souls’ defenses.

(We won’t describe what it does to Minions…they simply can’t stand up to that kind of mental abuse!)

And all of that’s without using any Momentum to enhance the effect!

Wouldn’t that be 8 :bird:? 4 for Heed my Words plus 4 from 14+ Personality.

Infinity has:
Ballistics Skill (ranged combat) - Marksman Talent (reroll a number of damage dice equal to
the number of Ballistics talents they have acquired)
Close Combat Skill (close combat) - Martial Artist Talent (reroll a number of damage dice
equal to the number of Close Combat talents they have acquired)
Hacking Skill (quantronic combat) - Hacker Talent (reroll a number of damage dice equal to the
number of Hacking talents they have acquired)
Persuade Skill (social combat) - NO Talent to re-roll damage dice

All the re-roll damage dice Talents allow to re-roll a number of damage dice (at least one on acquiring these Talents as their respective root Talent in the Talent tree, up to the total number of acquired Talents associated with the Skill).

Yes, but a melee fighter or ranged fighter with a high damage weapon with some qualities and high Brawn or Awareness can roll a lot of damage dice, too. But they can re-roll for free using their root talent from the respective Talent tree.

No. It allows to re-roll as many dice as you have Melee Talents and ranks in those Talents:

When making a Melee attack, you may re-roll a number
of damage dice equal to the total number of Melee talents
(and ranks in those talents) you have acquired, if desired.
You must accept the results of the re-rolls.

So, if you have, for example, the Talents No Mercy, Blood on Steel and Deft Blade, that is 3 Melee Talents, so No Mercy allows you to re-roll 3 damage dice.

Exactly.

I misunderstood.

Absolutely, Shran! I was crossing up Heed My Words (from the Command Talent tree) with the Steely Glare Display.

The nobleman’s Heed My Words should have done 8 :bird: (<-- I love this and am stealing it) damage, which would mean the average is ~2-2/3 (8/3) Effects x Piercing 3 = Piercing 8-ish. Not that you need to have that much Piercing even with a banner [Courage Soak dice] and Do We Fear This? involved. I suppose if a character had Courage and high Focus in Discipline on top of Do We Fear This? and a situational Courage Soak like a banner, you might need that much Piercing…:laughing:

1 Like