Location Level?

Looking at the GM Toolkit, to generate a location level I’m to roll CD equal to the PCs level. I’ve got 5 PCs of level 8-ish (we’ve been playing multiple times a week for a while).

Does that mean I roll 40CD? If so, then I end up with a location level of 42 and 18 effects. So it’s a level 60 location if I have things to encounter there?

So I just read that section and I’m pretty sure it’s just the party level (so it’d be 8 dice to roll instead of 8 dice per player). And if by some chance the party was of different levels, I’d go with the average.

Just my thinking based on reading it :slight_smile:

I think it’s written with the idea that the party is all the same level. It 100% is meant to be the average level but isn’t written as clearly as it should be for parties of differing levels.

Can anybody explain to me what does the Location Level do exactly? (I don’t have the GM Toolkit).

The book says (p.195) it relates to the level of NPC you find there and higher level means higher loot.
P.200 also state that you may spent Luck Point to increase or decrease the location’s level (why would you?) when you roll on the loot table.

Yet, the loot tables have nothing about Level. I can’t figure out how Location Level factors in loot table.

EDIT: Nevermind, I can’t read. You add (or subtract) from the 2d20 roll on the loot table.
That’s weird though because it means unless you spend a Luck Point, the Location Level doesn’t factor in at all in the loot. I guess PCs need to make sure they always keep at least 1 LP if they go scavenging a higher lvl location otherwise it’s just more trouble for them with no benefits.

In the GM Toolkit there’s a bit more (not much) about calculating the number of enemies in a location based on the level but it’s still pretty barebones. Like a level 12 Location would have X enemies of level 12 or X+1 of level 11 or X+2 of level 10 etc.

I think the implication of raising/ lowering location level for loot is that you get to chose how much you add/ subtract knowing the available items.

Let’s say you roll very high on the ammo table, generating a Mini Nuke. Sounds like a great result, unless your party just ran out of 5.56 ammo.

Reducing the roll is almost required to generate some of the low rolls. For example railgun ammo. You need a result of 2-4, this is something like 6 out of 400 possible results.

Yeah looking back at the tables I noticed rare loot is in both low and high results which makes sense since 2d20 is a bell curve so the average roll is around 21.