Infinity - Rules Questions!

Daglan asked for this thread in a different topic: “Cause for example the multispectral visors say something about having expert level of the visors. but it is not explained anywhere what that means.”

Multispectral visors have the Expert X quality. Gear qualities are listed on p. 334, and the Expert quality is explained there: “When used as part of a successful skill test, the expert system grants the user X bonus Momentum.”

1 Like

This seems like a good place to ask questions so…

If a Person with Agility 6 ghosts into a TInbot does the Tinbot use the characters Agility 6 or its Innate 10?

The info on page 355 implies if someone went “over” the TInbot’s innate rating with their own stat then it is capped, But is the opposite true? is a lower stat increased? or is this meant to be like what happens with Remote Control, you make your own check and the TInbot is just their to Augment the roll?

Haha, ok so still figuring out the forum but i figured this would be the correct topic to be posting this question on.

So i was running the Quantronic Heat Adventure for my operatives and something came up that i wasn’t sure how to rule. Not sure if the following is a spoiler so im’a blur the following for ya’ll.

A particular scene in Quantronic Heat (pg7) suggested that the hostile Hacker would attempt to attack the pc’s and try a breach effect to ‘Tag’ the players.

Now what i did was i did was ask the player to give me an observation test, and quietly compared it to my stealth test of the hacker as not to tip off the player something was amiss should he fail.

The hacker was successful and i carried out the attack, burning some heat for damage to ensure a breach and then tag it and kept it quiet till one of the players who was the groups nominated hacker man caught on to something and swept every ones gear and noticed the program and had the attacked player reset his comlog.

Now in hindsight i am not sure i came at this correctly. I mean if someone took any amount of firewall damage do you notify the player, so they can mark it down so they know they are down one breach and missing stress.
But if the purpose of the attack is to be subtle do you keep note of it yourself and spring it on them later like “actually now you notice your firewall has taken a hit” ect. Then again what about the players geist, surely they would know something is amiss and warn the operator.

Edit: Ok so after thumbing though topics and such, i came across a insightful topic about hacking, and the pro’s of using a hacking tool over basic hacking. And what the breach effect does and the potential for it. However the hacker nemesis in question only has Brain blast, and Black out. So ultimately my question remains, how was i meant to tag a player without them knowing?.

Edit v2: Also i had another question, its both mechanical and lore derived. So my second question is this. Is there a day to day expenses that the players need concern themselves with?. Now i understand that Aleph has things running smoothly (Nomads claim otherwise) But have they reached a point paying for food/accommodation/flight is trivial?. Or do you make use of their cash flow?.

And following on from that, if your playing up the Bureau Noir side of things. Do they offer to cover funds and equipment?. I mean if their goal is to avoid a code infinity why are they not kitting out operatives to best ensure that the calamity is avoided?. Do they have safe houses around the system for players to hole up in ect?.

I mean i see the Bureau Noir as like the equivalent of the U.N having a CIA Branch (if i have the wrong idea let me know) That said how far does their influence spread, can the players make demands from mega corps or other factions if they feel justified in their actions to see mission success just because they are part of the bureau and have it complied?.

And so on, Thus i would love to get some input or clarification for future reference~!.

All the best.

It is in the corebook: Gear, Lifestyles, Lifestyle Maintenance (p.387). That chapter also covers different aspects of lifestyle such as clothing, food, housing, etc.

1 Like

Thanks, i can’t believe i missed that chapter.

So pretty much if its within your lifestyle level its assumed you can afford it, but if its above your lifestyle ya gotta take a lifestyle test and pay the cost?.

Also another question beyond my initial one, Infinity points. They can only ever be increased in the final stage of character creation correct?. So character advancement only deals with skills, talents and attributes.

If a beginner player’s geist (ie with very low attributes and skills) is placed in a tinbot, should we use the attributes and skills of tinbot or geist?

1 Like

I believe it would use the values of the tinbot, for better or worse. For all intents it is, it’s body and while it can limit values from exceeding the tinbot stats. The reverse should apply as well e.g. more processing power ect

so it is completely thematic and serves no purpose as a rule. because in that case, geist is better off staying in comlog and simply gives the commands for tinbot to act autonomously.

I would suggest figuring out a few attribute modifiers, like for an LHost, and then using the Geist’s attributes with those modifiers. You could see any of the TinBot’s attribute above 7 as a positive modifier (so 10 becomes +3) and everything under 7 as a penalty (so 6 becomes -1), and use the Geist’s skills instead of the TinBots. See it as the Geist optimizing certain processes but needing to devote processing power from certain systems to do it.

I’d also limit how many times a Geist can be upgraded, though. We allow 3 upgrade packages total, with +1D and +1 cost dice per already installed package.

1 Like

I would run the Geist/Tinbot two ways.

Ghosting: The Geist has taken residence inside the tinbot, for all purposes that is it’s body. Any attributes of the Geist that exceeds the Tinbots is reduced to match. But Any lower are raised to match. (that said, i guess you could also upgrade the Tinbot over time)

Remote: The Geist is remote controlling it, You would use your Geist stats but the Tinbot would be taking the Assist action on any test the Geist would need to do using it’s own attributes at a +2 complication range.

Info from the 'Remote" section of the corebook pg 354/355

It’s certainly supported by RAW, but I don’t think the rules are very good in this case. Your own body affecting how strong the bot you’re in is, is weird.

Will have to ponder it a bit.

In yesterday’s game I tested this form you indicated, it worked well for one session, the player agreed to test this format as long as we think it can.

You mean when ghosting or when using remote?.

I have a player creating a Recreation. It states they get a Bodhisattva Lhost. Does this mean they adjust their character attributes and gain on the abilities of the Bodhisattva Lhost under the Bodhisattva Lhost equipment entry?

Are you using the Corebook or the Aleph supplement book?.

From my understanding from pg42 of the corebook that the body they get at birth is their ‘custom Lhost’

I’m using the Aleph book.

Yes you adjust the statistics according to the bodhisattva Lhost stats. He also gain the traits associated to the Lhost like inured to disease but will have to bear the upkeep cost.
Just to be clear this is very powerful and might stand out compared with the other players. Also as recreation he gain a substantial debt toward his creators.

Just doing a repost to bump my question.

So i was running the Quantronic Heat Adventure for my operatives and something came up that i wasn’t sure how to rule. Not sure if the following is a spoiler so im’a blur the following for ya’ll.

A particular scene in Quantronic Heat (pg7) suggested that the hostile Hacker would attempt to attack the pc’s and try a breach effect to ‘Tag’ the players.

Now what i did was i did was ask the player to give me an observation test, and quietly compared it to my stealth test of the hacker as not to tip off the player something was amiss should he fail.

The hacker was successful and i carried out the attack, burning some heat for damage to ensure a breach and then tag it and kept it quiet till one of the players who was the groups nominated hacker man caught on to something and swept every ones gear and noticed the program and had the attacked player reset his comlog.

Now in hindsight i am not sure i came at this correctly. I mean if someone took any amount of firewall damage do you notify the player, so they can mark it down so they know they are down one breach and missing stress.
But if the purpose of the attack is to be subtle do you keep note of it yourself and spring it on them later like “actually now you notice your firewall has taken a hit” ect. Then again what about the players geist, surely they would know something is amiss and warn the operator.

Edit: Ok so after thumbing though topics and such, i came across a insightful topic about hacking, and the pro’s of using a hacking tool over basic hacking. And what the breach effect does and the potential for it. However the hacker nemesis in question only has Brain blast, and Black out. So ultimately my question remains, how was i meant to tag a player without them knowing?.

TLDR: How do you Breech players to tag their gear without them knowing instantly.

I’d go for one of two approaches here:

1. Assume the players are willing and able to divide what they know as players from what their characters are aware of. Doesn’t work for every style of play or every player.
  2. Making an observation test reveals that the character noticed something but aren’t sure what they noticed, or they noticed it too late to do anything about. In this case, maybe they notice a glitch or error report from their comlog, and they get the Firewall and Breach marked off, but you don’t reveal the specifics of what the Breach does immediately. The character knows that something’s wrong, but they don’t know what, and that’s ideal for tension in play.
2 Likes