Generic 2d20, any news?

[Redacted] must flow…!

1 Like

BRP just released their SRD. Just saying…

1 Like

shots fired XD

Still Genesys is my to go generic system. A 2D20 generic though…could be superior. As long as they include the many variations as options. I am rather a fan of the “older” variants like Conan, Infinity and MC3, but if they keep it modular, it could be quite a treat. :yum:

4 Likes

Bump…in hope that there are some news or at least rumors…

1 Like

SWADE has quickly become my generic RPG darling but I am also throwing my hat in as someone interested in a generic version of 2D20. Especially if it was scaleable for complexity.

4 Likes

Not to forget a lightweight Gurps…a long lost love. :grin:

bump di bump

Another bumb, because those 1.4k views imply that there is indeed some interest in a generic 2D20 rulebook. :smile:

3 Likes

There is an elegance in BESM 4e. I like just 3 stats.

Would really love to have a Generic 2D20 book. But in the interim, I would be happy with a conversion guide for players who’d like to combine Star Trek Adventures, Dune, Infinity and Mutant Chronicles, with STA as the default base game, ergo at least a “SciFi 2D20.” Thanks!

3 Likes

I recently picked up Cortex Prime and it has made me very hungry for a 2d20 Toolkit.

1 Like

Cortex Prime is a thing of beauty. I’d also like to see a generic 2d20 toolkit with a similar approach.

We did some conversion of settings and played an original one (a “through the ages”, set in different time periods, but with the same-ish characters) using homebrew 2d20 adaptations.

I would really like to see a generic toolkit published.

Seeing some of the discussions, currently on the 2d20 Gaming Discord about a Mass Effect adaptation, there is definitely an interest for such a kind of product.

2 Likes

What’s really needed in a Generic Rules book is: General Character Creation; Skill system; Combat system for melee and ranged; Magic system for players and NPC’s (should cover classic Magic and Psionics); types of settings suggested rules (bronze age, older/younger iron age, medieval, Gothic (1600’s to early 1800’s), modern (WWI, WWII, Vietnam and today), near SciFi (2500’s) and finally far SciFi 5000’s+. Basic rules for creating factions/organizations/companies. Basic Vehicular Combat system, horse vs horse, cars/tanks vs cars/tanks, naval warfare and space warfare (maybe also surface to air); Era specific equipment lists (armor, weapons and general purpose gear, might be best as Source Books); NPC’s and Monster types, and a Basic NPC/Monster creation system)

Well that’s my thoughts on a Generic 2d20 system

1 Like

I would be interested to know which version of 2D20 people would anticipate for such a thing. Our table uses an amalgam of Infinity and Conan, with a healthy sprinkling of elements from MC, Dishonored, STA and, to a much lesser extent, A!C. Having read through so many iterations of the rules, and having made a roughly year-long effort to concatenate and normalize certain aspects of the different systems, it’s pretty remarkable to compare MC, or even Infinity for that matter, to something like JC or Dune.

I think it would be very close to Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20 - as that was described as being modeled quite closely to the internal 2d20 core framework.

I didn’t know it was described that way, but it makes sense to me. Dune, JC and Dishonored are in their own flavor category, Fallout is in its own restaurant, but A!C feels like a spiritual successor to the MC > Infinity > Conan > STA lineage (and Devil’s Run, for that matter) that I think most reasonable people would agree are the most complete of the systems.

It makes more sense to me to do something like Cortex Prime and create a toolkit rather than force a particular variation of the system. Like Cortex, the 2d20 system works best when it can be adjusted to the particular setting or feel a group wants.

2 Likes

I hear you, NickEast, but IMO you can’t “toolkit” the differences between, say, Dune and Mutant Chronicles. They are ends of a spectrum with shared terms, but very different mechanics. They don’t even use combat dice in Dune, for example.

The Cortex Prime corebook (and its digital counterpart) does a good job of presenting a wide range of possible variants of the core system, and that variance is about the same as the level of variety between any two 2d20 versions.

One toolkit could cover the variations of 2d20 without massive difficulty, even the presence or absence of combat dice. It wouldn’t be a conventional rulebook, though.

4 Likes