FAQ and Errata Thread

You could use the sledgehammer one handed.

However I would drop the damage by 1CD if used that way.

Are attacks considered to be skill checks? Asking mainly for the perk Cautious Nature, but I’m sure there’s other applications.

I would say yes. Or rather, to be nitpicky - an attack is an action involving a skill roll. So the ‘Cautious Nature’ perk is relevant.

Hi, two questions for Nathan.

1. What is Wealth (for characters NPC), specifically? In relation to the rules, inventory, or anything else? Is it number of caps, or something else?

2. What are special abilities Big and Little, exactly? They are mentioned in few places, but never described.

Wealth is Caps (page 335).

Big and Little are described on individual creatures. I think they would have been better served by grouping the recurring abilities together I think but such is life.

Wealth is the number of D20 you roll to determine the number of caps you can loot from that enemy.

For example say you kill a raider guy with Wealth 2 and loot his corpse. You roll 2 d 20 and you get a 10 and a 14. You add those together and you get 24 caps from looting.

I do think a better way to represent this in the rulebook would be just list 2d20 caps instead of Wealth 2 and then having to define Wealth somewhere.

I think part of the problem is that they don’t define Wealth anywhere. Page 335 uses the term Caps to indicate how wealthy an NPC is. Sure it’s obvious they mean Wealth (or vice versa) but if you’re doing a CTRL-F to locate the Wealth definition you’re never going to find it because the terminology changed.

2 Likes

Hello,

I have a Rules question that I cant seem to find anywhere.

Can Gun-Fu be used with the hunting rifle? It has a fire rate of 0 but Gun-Fu does not specify if they need to have a rate of fire to be used in that manner.

Hi!

I have a rules question on creatures with a high body score. The book describes a creature’s body as a culmination of their strength, endurance, and agility. If they have a high enough body, do they gain the bonuses from having high enough strength and agility? If a creature has a body of 9, would they gain the melee damage bonus from having the same strength and the defense bonus from having the same agility?

Thanks!

I’m not sure since the rulebook doesn’t have rules for making your own creatures spelled out, but you can look for monsters that have a really high body score and see if they have defense 2 or something.

My suspicion is no, they don’t automatically get those things, but your best bet is to check from the examples we have.

1 Like

Since Body is a combination of stats it would be difficult to say at what score they have enough to get the bonus.

While the rules do not have a system to build a creature from scratch they do have a leveling system. At certain points they can increase damage so this would be an abstract way of showing high Str or a perk.

1 Like

I still haven’t received any update about why the more rare, better, experimental power armor is listed as costing less. Is this a mistake?

It’s… complex.

The values listed are accurate to Fallout 4, and that’s where they were derived from. In that sense, there’s no error…

…but the values given for the X-01 armour in FO4 are essentially a token value, not intended to actually be used. Those pieces won’t appear in shops, but only found in the world through exploration, so you’d never be able to buy them for that price.

So, essentially, it isn’t a mistake but it is lacking context.

2 Likes

thanks. That makes sense. I guess it would need a value in the video game in case you tried to sell it or something, and lowballing that value would discourage you from selling it, and also make it easier to buy back if you accidentally did. In the context of a TTRPG, however, that makes little sense. I would probably treat it like an artifact in D&D. It is essentially priceless. Most places wouldn’t buy it, but if you wanted to sell it, the brotherhood would take it, and how much they give you would be determined by how much they like you.

i feel like I’m missing something important for scavenging. When scavenging and finding weapons, how do you know which weapon table to roll on? And how do you find ammo?

Also, as it appears to be written, for every junk you find, you’re supposed to roll 2d20 so see how much you found? That seems more than a little excessive. In just 2 small rooms we already had nearly 200 pieces of junk. By the end of the session we had over 300! We ended up deciding that each junk was just that, one junk, but I’m curious as to what it’s actually supposed to be.

Weapons are divided into three categories - guns, mêlee and thrown/explosives. There’s a table (not in the basic rules, don’t remember where) that list by type and size of location how many rolls you have on each category of items. In a pinch assume one third of the weapons will be guns, one third melee and the rest trhown/explosives

I figured rolling a D3 for which weapons table, but had been confused by how ammo would fit in. I see it now. It only shows up in military locations. Guess I need to make sure I stock up on ammo whenever we see a shop.

The answer to your question is in the GM Toolkit.

It’s not 2D20 pieces of Junk. You roll on a table that tells you what and how much you found. Results are not linear either, some items are a lot less common than others. A roll of 2-4 is going to be less common than a roll of 21.

The GM tool kit has the rules for the GM creating what can be in a scavenged location. All the rest of the rules are in the core book. All it says on finding junk is “When you find junk while scavenging, roll 2d20. That is the quantity of junk items you scavenge.” Page 208.
The wording is confusing because it’s possible to have a min max of “Junk” at something like 2/4. It would seem like 2 to 4 pieces of junk could be found, but that line implies you’re actually finding 4d20 to 8d20 pieces of junk.

1 Like

4d20 to 8d20 Junk is correct. Keeping in mind that junk is heavy and has little value. You have to do skill rolls and spend time to turn it into components which are usable.

At the end of the day you should be up to your ears in common materials, so much in fact you should either be dumping it or asking the DM how much to build something big…In reality a single 2"x4"x8’ is about 10lbs so according to page 208 a single board is 10 Common Materials. Extrapolate that across even a small house and that’s a very large amount of fallout materials. Metal is even worse, a unit of corrugated sheet metal would be less than a foot square.