FAQ and Errata Thread

Conversely whenever a player rolls there is a chance for a Complication whereas there’s not when you just use food/water. We’ve noticed very little change by allowing first aid outside of combat.

Tried a search before asking to see if it was answered before but too many results

Looking for confirmation that Player Characters do not start with any action points?

Simply put, it’s called first aid. From practical, personal experience as trained first aider, if you wait and do it later, it stops being first aid, and there’s an upper limit to how much first aid is useful for a patient.

More seriously: first aid represents immediate medical care when damage has just occurred. But, contrary to RPG logic, you can’t just keep wrapping someone in bandages until they’re healthy again.

Long-term recovery is a matter of rest and time, and keeping your strength up with nutrition and fluids (and possibly stimpaks, but I’d save those for combat as they’re most useful as a way to boost first aid).

Correct. PCs start with 0 action points.

4 Likes

What about treating injuries? They are listed under the First Aid Action but other than that only with time?

Does that mean the character with the chest wound dies as soon as combat is over as they bleed out? Do you keep combat time going until they’re either treated or dead?

The ranged weapon table on p. 60 of the GM Toolkit is missing entries for 10 and 19.

Thanks for the clarification, Nathan. For our game, I think that I might house rule that first aid can be only performed once on a given PC either during combat or immediately following combat. If the PC is damaged again after receiving First Aid, they can receive it again.

To me this avoids just arbitrarily staying in turn-based combat mode after the combat is technically over just so the medic can run around healing people.

Regarding the Action Points question: The only way that a PC can spend AP on additional d20s in combat is to take them from the party pool or buy them from the GM, correct? If a PC generated, say, 3 or more AP on a very successful roll, could they spend 2 to buy another attack (major action) and spend 1 to buy another d20 for that attack (without using the party pool at all)?

When buying extra dice with AP, normally the only available source of AP is the group pool (or paying the GM). This is mainly a matter of convenience - it saves you having to buy dice in advance and tracking what future tests you’ve bought dice for.

If you take an action in combat and generate AP, technically you can spend AP on buying dice for a future test, but you’d have to declare what test you’re buying them for. It is easier, 99.9% of the time, to drop the AP in the group pool, even if only briefly, and spend them when you actually attempt that later test.

And, well, In the example you give, literally the only case where the difference actually matters is when you’ve got a full group pool (as it would prevent you saving any extra AP) - if there’s space in the group pool, there’s no practical difference between “declare bonus dice in advance” and “drop a spare AP in the pool and spend it again 10 seconds later”.

1 Like

any chance you guys know when the Fallout rpg will be added to the U.S. store? I really want to preorder the gamemaster bundle but want to wait for the better shipping.

1 Like

Hi! I looked all over the place for an answer to this very problem, but it seems there is none, so I made my homebrew version of the effects, based on the videogame (VG for short) data. This is what I came up with:

Lighter Build: Reduce weight by half. +0 caps.
Pocketed: Increase carry weight by +10 (chest) / +5 (arms/legs). +0 lbs, +0 caps.
Deep Pocketed: Increase carry weight by +20 (chest) / +10 (arms/legs). +0 lbs, +1 cap.
Lead Lined: +1 Radiation DR. +2 lbs, +1 cap.
Ultra-Light Build: Reduce weight to 1 (chest) / 0.5 (arms/legs). +2 caps.

The rundown:

Regarding weight, armor pieces weight the same as in VG and base carry weight is nearly the same (200 + STR x 10 in VG, 150 + STR x 10 in 2d20), so I left Pocketed and Deep Pocketed the same as in VG. For Lighter and Ultra-Light Build things got tricky, as weight varies between armor kinds and armor pieces, but I did the closest thing to an average between all armor kinds. In all cases, it seemed worth it to differentiate the effects between chest and arms/legs, for obvious reasons (the manual itself doubles the effect for Shadowed Chest armor). I did the math based on standard pieces of armor and didn’t factor in Sturdy/Heavy because things were complicated enough.

For Lead Lined, I took the reference of Power Armor radiation resistance, which is 300 for Chest and 150 for the rest of the parts in VG. Since Lead Lined gives 15 and 10 respectively, the conversion would be 20 times for chest and 15 times for arms/legs. In 2d20, radiation DR is 9 for chest and 7 for the rest, which means they would both drop to about 0.5, so I just left them at 1.

Added weight and cost seem to come directly from base Raider Armor arms/legs, so I just copied that, although I would change it for each armor type.

I hope this helps until we get an official errata, although just from making this, I think it was a mistake to try to unify all of these.

That seems like a bit of a huge oversight. The start set and its adventure should be already available if the core book is making reference to it and has an adventure that’s supposed to be a continuation of something but it’s not coming later on in the line?

1 Like

Me and my freinds are sofar really enjoying the game and were wondering if there is any update on when the next Errata will be out?

Were also wanting to check if the weight and cap cost for power armour where swaped by mistake?

2 Likes

Yes, the Power armor cost/weight is wrong/swapped.

1 Like

Hi everyone. I am having some trouble with the rules for diseases. Either I missed it or there is no real explanation on how often you can roll to reduce the duration of a disease. I am assuming it is once a day? But I am not sure if this is correct or not.

It’s not outright stated but it is implied that it’s once per day.

Why do most of the robots just self-destruct at half health?

It’s what they do in the video game.

Most Robots only self destruct when something prevents them from fighting besides Mister Gutsys who seem to just self destruct all the time. Sentry Bots fight till death and blow up anyway.

Hello,
I read that by sleeping not in a bed player has to roll END + Survival test to check if he got an illness.
My question is, decision to do not put a sleeping bag into the game was on purpose?

I am thinking if I should introduce a sleeping bag for my group.
I thought I will make it a bit heavy (let’s say 10) with crafting complexity 3. When players use it, he doesnt have to roll to check if he got an illness

In the crafting part we can read that some recipes demand either:

• some herbs like glowing fungus, hubflower
    -some concrete junk like abraxo cleaner

My question is, would the herbs be added in the future? If not, what are the rules if my player wants to collect special herbs?
Abraxo cleaner can be collected as normal junk? My player doesnt have to scrap it?

Also as a trained First Aider, I disagree that First Aid can / should only be used in combat.
Having been the first responder at the scene of more than one real-world incident - once almost an hour after a motorcyclist had come off his bike - I was able to provide First Aid before the emergency services arrived. This wasn’t long-term treatment, it was using First Aid to deal with bleeding injuries and broken bones.
I agree that First Aid can only be given once but limiting it to an action that can only be taken during combat makes no sense, not least because damage received in round 1 of combat could be untreated until round 10, yet - under the current rules - damage received in the last round couldn’t be treated with First Aid immediately afterwards.
I suspect most / all players will house rule around this until the current illogical rule is changed.