Dune 2: The Next House

So it has taken a while but we have reached the end of Season 1 and it was worth the wait for my group. We managed to get the epic wrap up for the arc I was hoping for.
Quote of the session “That does complicate things…”

We began with Lethe infiltrating the House estate with a small team of commandos. Unsure of the best plan at this point they decided to sabotage the ornithopters. The players words were “So experienced pilots would find it harder, but less experienced wouldn’t notice”. I took that to mean that the better the piloting roll the bigger the problem.

Kaeo decided to slip out early and head for the command centre, determined to find the Warmaster. Taking the route that would be used by Lady Aria and party later she noticed a new camera and sound recorder pointed at the route, shortly before she was ambushed by a pair of assailants who very loudly shouted “For Lord Gallen, die Traitor”. Before she could finish them one of them released some form of poison, killing himself and almost killing his fellow before Kaeo could drag him to safety.
When she subsequently turned up with a half dead body at the command centre it caused quite some consternation. She was able to use this chaos to secure her position as the highest ranking officer.

With Carolyn tending to the injured assassin, Kaeo investigated the secure bunker beneath the command centre finding the Warmaster dead and the Spymaster badly wounded, having seemingly taken a drug to feign her own death.
While this was going on Lady Aria had been woken and taken to a secure location (The theatre on the ground floor) for her ‘safety’ due to their being infiltrators in the Estate. She then proceeded to casually wind up the guard stationed there by subtly insulting Lady Sindri and her original House.

In order to ramp up the chaos Lethe detonated some of her explosives outside the command centre in a very loud and flashy manner. Staging a follow up ‘attack’ where she loudly declared that House McDaniels would have it’s revenge.
Inside the command centre Kaeo was getting reports of explosions, House McDaniels attacks, Ornithopters crashing as they attempted emergency take-offs
At the main House Bastion infiltrated the library disguised as an aide and was was collared by Lady Sindri to assist her in moving Lord Lucas to the 'Thopters for evacuation. Carlos was being summoned and no-one knew where Pelias was.

At the theatre an agent that they had earlier identified as having been behind some of the earlier schemes was allowed in by the guard and they both attacked Lady Aria. Who, while sustaining some wounds was able to out manoeuvre them and escape the theatre. Running into Carlos who was being evacuated towards Lord Lucas and party at the time.

It was at this point that they discovered where Pelias had gotten to as he attempted to take off in his racing 'thopter. Pelias is an expert pilot, Pelias rolled 4 successes, Pelias was in a 'thopter that was rigged so the better you were the worse your result… There was a brief pause as the players realised they had just killed the Heir to the House.
Lethe deciding that they didn’t have much to lose at this point (having been the one that did the sabotage) charged the group containing Lord Lucas, Lady Sindri, Bastion and a bodyguard. Ignoring all but Lady Sindri who she desperately attacked.
Bastion took the opportunity to get Lucas away from the situation while Lady Aria covered Carlos.

Successfully preventing Lady Sindri from fleeing but being wounded by her bodyguard Lethe detonated the last of her explosives. Which with the use of Determination and Threat made for a big bang.
Lady Sindri was killed outright as was her bodyguard. Bastion was badly wounded protecting Lord Lucas and Lady Aria it turned out was able to avoid the worst of the damage.
I gave Carolyn a chance to save Lethe with a D4 roll, but having already used her Determination on the Spymaster even a little extra help from Momentum was not enough.

With the events dying down the wrap up was a lot simpler. All the events were officially blamed on House Sindri being caught up in a conflict between Solis & McDaniels. There will be bad blood between the Houses for some time, but nothing that can be formally laid out in Kanly.
Carlos was named Heir and Lord Lucas, while officially still Lord has largely retired from public life.
Lethe was declared to have been a sleeper agent and struck from the House records in disgrace.

As a final after credits scene though we did have a dimly lit room with a manila file on which was written Lethe Driscol. The file was closed by a heavily bandaged hand and then a new file pulled across over it and opened “Now, what shall I be next?..” Fade to black

There will be a break for a while as I refresh and consider how to continue, if we move to another game for a while and then come back or if I start afresh with a new House… We shall see.
I will consolidate and update all my note and post up a thread with all the details of House Sindri if anyone else wants to use them.

I hope you enjoyed the game. My group certainly did. :smiley:

2 Likes