Discord...PLEASE - all the cool kids are doing it!

Forums are great and all but they are so 1999! Will or does Modiphius geta Discord server?

3 Likes

Oh, I hope not. With a forum I can keep up to date even if I only take a look once a week. Other types of info steams pretty much require you to actively monitor or you will miss things. I am a avid collector of RPG’s (hardcopy) and with my FLGS closing, forums and company websites are my primary way of tracking new product. The companies using Facebook, things like Discord and PODcasts as their primary information release mechanisms have pretty much lost my business. I simply do not have enough free hours in the day to monitor that many information streams and actually play an RPG.

4 Likes

I like discord for some things but it lends itself to the chat of the moment (IMO) and forums I think lend to a deeper discussion. For this Beta I prefer a forum, if we were doing quick rules question once released or quick chats on the system Discord would work for me

4 Likes

I’d join an official Discord server, and I sometimes like to use up time in that kind of idle Chat.

But I agree: it should not replace this (searchable) forum. On Discord, one can get (mostly) an immediate response to a question, or alternatively be ignored until the question is buried in other ephemera. I also wonder if users get tired of answering the same questions, at which point it stops being a reliable resource for assistance.

2 Likes

Seconding most of the above - Discord is pretty good for building a conversational community, but pretty abysmal for anything long-term, such as rules queries or discussions that people might want to come back to or refer to - all of which forums are excellent for. As @Spence mentions, keeeping up with active streaming conversations can be very difficult, while with a threaded forum you can check the areas that are of interest.

Just to be clear, I am in no way saying do not get a Discord server.

I am just asking that it be another separate information stream and that the forum remains as it is for long term searchable information.

Just because I may not like it does not mean it isn’t a good thing for others.

2 Likes

There’s a 2D20 Discord server already…

Sure it’s not 100% official but it’s a great resource.

3 Likes

I’d love an official Modiphius discord server too

2 Likes

In the event we get a Discord server, it would supplant this forum, not replace. Modiphius forums are nor going anywhere.

4 Likes

There’s an independent MC3 Discord too.
Like Spence, I agree that they’re good for some stuff, but work best in collaboration with a forum. Glad to hear from Steve that the forum is going to be staying!

1 Like

Do you have an invite to the MC3 server ?

Supplant is synonymous replace. I think you meant augment?

1 Like

I translated that he meant Supplement.

2 Likes