Conan The Wanderer Discussion

Who else thinks that Modiphius should stick to honoring REH’s source material instead of kowtowing to a few people who don’t understand the world of Conan or the context those stories were written from? Discuss.

1 Like

Achtung! Verboten! - This topic is not to be discussed anymore. See here: About the changes in the new version of Conan the Wanderer

No discussing here, if you want to discuss you need to post your concerns over on the kickstarter page. That is where the updates are being posted. I take that was the message to the backers that Mr Birch was eluding too.

1 Like

Sadly not all backers can join the discussion there because they used the Modiphius shop and not Kickstarter to back Conan. :sob:

The Kickstarter was over before I found out about it so I guess my opinion doesn’t matter as a Conan fan and customer of Modiphius. It’s not like they were listening to the purists anyway since they had their minds made up from the beginning it seems to listen to a few squeaky wheels instead of the majority who buy these products. Honestly they should make two prints of the book, one for the people who can’t handle the harsh realities REH set down in his world and one print for those of us who can.

2 Likes

We’ll just have to discuss it with our dollars then by not supporting the book in it’s new form/PC edit. I hope Modiphius enjoys their diminished sales.

2 Likes

I think they are honouring REH’s work. I think they are doing a great job - perhaps that makes me less of a fan or whatever in some people’s eyes, but that’s luckily meaningless to me.

It’s not a historical piece of work they’re making, but a game that should be accessible and enjoyable today - to a large audience. If not for this game I wouldn’t have read REH’s original work, and been left with the impression I had after reading a bunch of the Marvel and Dark Horse comics.

5 Likes

Agree to disagree. Nerfing REH’s setting to appease less than 1% who just can’t handle the realities of the Hyborian world is not honoring the work. The book should have been slapped with a disclaimer saying that the themes and concepts here in might be triggering to some and proceed at your own peril but instead we get a PC edit, Howard would be proud.

2 Likes

Agree to disagree. Sure.

However, one question, where do you get the number (less than 1%) from? Got a source of some kind?

1 Like

If you read the forums and discussions you will see that this was a highly unpopular move voiced loudly by a large majority or the fans and customers. The <1% was hyperbole but based on the severe lack of support for the PC changes that were made to The Wanderer and likely to future Conan products. What’s next, someone doesn’t like violence so Wounds become Owwies and nobody ever dies by the Savage Sword of Conan?

2 Likes

Hi folks. I’m locking this again before it devolves. Our statement is clear and is available on the Kickstarter page.

2 Likes