What do I do with left over Doom

What am I supposed to do with the left over Doom after a battle has reached it conclusion ie the players have beaten the bad guys and gone home. Does the Doom dissipate since here is no more danger or does it hang around for the next encounter. If the book says what to do with it I can’t find it. Thanks in advance.

Yes, at the end of the “adventure” the Doom goes away. I believe Momentum does too. They will both reset at the start of the next game session.

1 Like

I think all that built up doom should be “blown” in the climax of the adventure.

Making complications. Making the final horror more dangerous or live longer. Calling more minions… or making hazards like falling ceilings traps etc…

3 Likes

Suggestions for minor Doom spends:
The floor/deck is slippery with blood…
More minions turn up…
The environment becomes unstable, rocks fall etc.
“A 2nd Wind” for NEMESIS NPCs…

3 Likes

Excellent responses all and thank you. What about at the end of an encounter with a significant cool down period? Should Doom dissipate or remain? Thanks.

I think it remains.

The forces of darkness are still biding their time. They have not gone away.
The baddies get a chance to rest or bring up reinforcements…

I’ve just read the hobbit. While bilbo and his mates are hanging around by the lake for weeks, bolg is raising his goblin army. That should add doom rather than let it sap.

2 Likes

Doom is a per-adventure thing. At the end of an adventure, remaining Doom is lost (an incentive to spend it, and an incentive for players to try and triumph before you can spend it). At the start of a new adventure, you get an all-new pool of Doom.

Personally, I adjust the starting Doom pool based on how ominous and dangerous that adventure will be - adventures that seem simple and straightforward may start with less, adventures that are perilous or have far-reaching effects may start with more.

2 Likes

Actually, the rulebook says the Doom pool resets every session- “The gamemaster begins each session with Doom equal to the total number of Fortune points possessed by all the player characters.”
So at beginning of each session:
Doom = total Fortune pts of players
Fortune pts = reset to 2 or 3 per PC
Momentum = 0
As to the OP’s question, if in a single session you have multiple encounters you don’t lose Doom after an encounter, you have your Doom pool for the whole session.
Momentum reduces by 1 at the end of each round in combat and by 1 at the end of each scene during a session.
Is this correct?
M

1 Like

That is correct.

Any Doom you have over at the end represents missed opportunities to give the players hell (or if you prefer, make things more exciting). So blow all of it if possible.

1 Like