Utopia Planitia Rules Questions

1. Is there any guidance on how many weapons can be chosen on a custom Spaceframe? As many as I want?

2. I understand that UP only presents Starfleet ships / rules, but there are some references to Klingon, Orion, and even early Romulan cases in the rules. Should I assume that the “design a frame” then “flesh out the other details” process applies to those species?

3. If the answer to 2 is ‘yes’, should they each have access to all the mission profiles listed in UP? (I’m particularly interested in this from the point of view of the Klingons who have a slightly different assortment of profiles).

4. I’m trying to parse the meaning behind this blurb in the Fleet Carrier mission pod: “the ship also has the talents Extensive Shuttlebays (which the ship may have twice for a total of 3x the normal shuttlecraft…)” I think that’s supposed to be read like a similar – but differently phrased – note in Warp Propulsion Pod: that the pod gives 1 “instance” of the Extensive Shuttlebays talent, and if the Spaceframe or a user choice results in a second instance, then here’s what that does. But there’s a part of me that wants to read it as “This pod comes with Extensive Shuttlebays [x2] and Command Ship”.

1. As many as you want.
  2. Yes.
  3. Sure, why not?
  4. “This pod comes with Extensive Shuttlebays [x2] and Command Ship” is the intention behind the mission pod.
1 Like
  1. UP now clarifies the relationship between scale and Tractor Beam strength. I think that previously published ships match that relationship. One exception is the Nimitz-class, as published in the Discovery Campaign: it’s a scale 4 with Tractor Beam strength of 2 (in v2.0 of the PDF). The Tractor Beam strength has been revised in UP. Is Discovery in error? Or should I put it in the category of “these are the new stats for this spaceframe”?

Nimitz should have a strength 3 tractor beam.

1 Like