Toughening up those minions

When turning a normal minion into a toughened minion, how much would you increase Vigor and Resolve?

And what other modifications would you normally make?

I’m thinking specifically in relation to the Deadly Ally talent from Conan the Wanderer, but any general guidelines you work with when modifying and toughening up minions and other NPCs would be cool to know.

Vigor and Resolve is determined by the character’s Brawn and Willpower, respectively.

“Minion” type enemies have Vigor/Resolve equal to half their Brawn/Willpower (round up), “Toughened” type enemies have Vigor/Resolve equal to their Brawn/Willpower. So their Vigor and Resolve automatically increase.

I don’t see any reason to change the template any further. A minion wolf and a toughened wolf uses the same template, but a toughened wolf (maybe the pack’s alpha) is naturally stronger because of increased Vigor and because it can take a Wound and still keep fighting.

2 Likes

You may also want to consider looking at the templates that are in the Horrors of Hyperboria book. If nothing else it will give you some benchmarks to base whatever gains you give minions.

2 Likes

Vigor and Resolve is determined by the character’s Brawn and Willpower, respectively.

“Minion” type enemies have Vigor/Resolve equal to half their Brawn/Willpower (round up), “Toughened” type enemies have Vigor/Resolve equal to their Brawn/Willpower. So their Vigor and Resolve automatically increase.

I don’t see any reason to change the template any further. A minion wolf and a toughened wolf uses the same template, but a toughened wolf (maybe the pack’s alpha) is naturally stronger because of increased Vigor and because it can take a Wound and still keep fighting.

Thanks.

This is along the lines I was thinking.

Although, if I’m not completely mistaken, it is not uncommon that toughened minions also have higher values in fields of expertise, and perhaps alternative attacks, or additional abilities.

Looking at the various types of birds that can be used with falconry, I guess your point is more than fair in this case.

You may also want to consider looking at the templates that are in the Horrors of Hyperboria book. If nothing else it will give you some benchmarks to base whatever gains you give minions.

That is an excellent idea! Thank you.

1 Like