Startrek timelines

That is some of the reasons that make it difficult to like Discovery, at least for me.

There are more than 200 Crew on the Enterprise. Q knows how many Klingons and Kelpiens and so on participated in the Battle.
There is no lawful tool to ensure the silence of the departure of USS Discovery, as the leading Officers of this Cabal lied to thier lawfull superiors about the matter.
Besides that there may or may be not wreckage from the battle, inkluding Blackboxes from the Section 31 Ships, that can be salvaged.

Most of the above would not be knowledgeable about the Discovery which was after all a top secret Research Vessel and Section 31 knows how to keep secrets

1 Like

Hmmm, I think we should have a timeline split during the ENT era when the Zindi attack earth because of the temporal war, this branches off with DIS happening in the universe where earth was attacked, and TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY all happen in the universe where earth isn’t attacked.

But, this is just my opinion, and one reason why I don’t like time travel/temporal war stuff that happens in a prequel to a series that already had so much established without it previously being mentioned.

1 Like

Then you must place every single Star Trek series into one or more timelines of its own because we had so many time travel events during the run of all Star Trek series that no episode except perhaps the first couple of episodes from TOS season 1 (up to but not including The Naked Time) are part of the original timeline!
Before you asked The Naked Time was the first episode in which they used time travel. So every thing that happened in TOS before that episode happen in the original timeline.

Too bad that all the critics forget this!

You could make a good argument about needing a separate timeline for each different TV series, I don’t know if you’d need one for each episode that involves time travel, I mean technically you would, but the question is if any episodes or movies or whatever actually happen in those branching time lines.

And that’s the reason that placing a Star Trek show in a different timeline just because you don’t like it or you think that it does not fit into the rest is a bad idea. Because if you are consequent you should place everything that happened betwenn two time travel episodes in a new timeline. And we really do not know if that’s all of them. No, we can be sure that this is not the case, because then there would no need for the Bureau of Temporal Investigations

If you think that ENT’s temporal war was a bad idea, then you should also include VOY with introduced the Temporal Prime Directive and 29th century Starfleet having timeships. It is only consequent that something like a temporal cold war happens or future Starfleet would not need timeships

Or you can go back to Star Trek - First Contact in which Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-E changed history (as a result of preventing the Borg changing history)

Or 

I think that all these changes in history in prime timeline were always part of that history, because none of that changes really changed history, except the Kelvin event which created the Kelvin timeline

I disagree slightly with you. If you think of each series as following a consistent timeline of the characters involved in the crew of that ship, they of course might cause timelines splintering based on their actions, but we only follow one time line for that crew as the series continues, you don’t need to measure separate time lines for each series, they all happen in one time line.

So what we need is, each series has its own time line, each movie has its own time line (DS9 had data alive in the future with jake cisko in that one flashforward episode but data died at the end of nemisis), and then there’s the mirror universe timelines and the 2009 trek time lines.

but heck, whatever, it doesn’t matter, its a stupid thing to get too obsessed about, and the people who control the franchise don’t much care either, they just care about telling good stories and making good visuals and whatnot, and if that erases or changes previous cannon, it doesn’t matter to them

But some people are so obsessed about it that they use even the most stupid argument to explain why the one Star Trek show they for some extremely stupid reason do not like is not part of the prime timeline!

As I become slightly agitated, my you explain, which reasons you judge as extremly stupid?

Or should I give some examples what I don’t like on the different star trek Series und you tell me which of them are extremly stupid?

Vermutlich alle, die nicht seine eigenen sind / nicht seiner Meinung entsprechen. :slight_smile:

Ruhig Blut!

Schön wĂ€r’s

Idiotische Argumente gegen DIS sind z.B.:

• schwarzer weiblicher Hauptcharakter
  • anderes Design als TOS
  • Klingonen sehen anders aus als in TOS
  • Technology zu modern fĂŒr eine Serie, die vor TOS spielt

Stupid arguments against DIS for example are:

• black female main character
  • different design than TOS
  • Klingons look different than in TOS
  • Technology to modern for a show taking place before TOS

If you don’t want it to be Canon, because you don’t like it, just tell your Players, or decide it for them.
As a GM you are the Universe, so any discussion what is, and what is not canon is just predestined to escalate.

3 Likes

For me as GM or as player it does not matter how the uniform is designed or how the Klingons look, because everything happens in our own imagination and so everything may look even different. And the story lines of most episodes of any show has no influence in the story line of our own adventures. For a TOS campaign it does not matter if Kirk managed to argue a computer to death after loosing some red shirts and foiling the latest Klingon scheme (and seducing a local princess). For campaign during the Dominion War the adventures of Voyager does really not matter, because no one heard about them. And the same can be said about DIS. It help that most of their adventures are top secret

But it is still fascinating that the fans of a franchise that is about tolerance can be so intolerant about certain aspects of their favorite franchise.

Does anyone remember whether there was an episode that acted as a corollary of Popper’s paradox of tolerance? :smiley:

The way you’ve been reacting on here just makes it seem like you might ignore actual criticisms of DIS and just chalk it up to those straw-man complaints. And dismissing actual thoughtful timeline ideas in some desperate way to just keep things how you want.

I wrote about stupid reasons not intelligent ones! To be honest, I have not seen a single reason which was not stupid. But you can change this.You just have to give me one very good reason why DIS should be in a timeline of its own (which of course could be not used for any other series)!

I don’t know how Discovery ends, yet. Will they stay forever in the future, will they travel back?
Will that story told in a way I personally say, yeah, that fits or not.

Is that reasonable enough?

To be honest, as I am mostly running Games in 2371:

• Archerprise does not matter for my Adventures.
  • Dicovery does not matter for my Adventures.
  • TOS mostly does not matter for my Adventures.
  • Voyager does not matter for my Adventures.

What my Adventures influence is what happened on DS9 even if it is on the far side of the stars.

No, a different time is not a different timeline.

I agree. And even most of the TNG and DS9 episodes will not matter.

[quote=“Caranfang, post:52, topic:8080”]Stupid arguments against DIS for example are:

• different design than TOS
  • Klingons look different than in TOS
  • Technology to modern for a show taking place before TOS[/quote]

Well, Discovery obviously has bigger problems than these, but, that doesn’t make these stupid arguments. In an imaginary universe, continuity is what helps suspend disbelief, and aesthetics are a big part of that.

Let me rephrase that. Part of what makes TOS so awesome is imagining it to be our future, a future we would love to live in, a bright and hopeful future. Who doesn’t love wearing the TOS uniforms, taking “tricorder” readings, imagine “beaming,” etc.? Well, when Discovery looks so different and has so many disagreements with TOS continuity, it’s hard to imagine it as the same universe, the same future. You aren’t sure if they are going to explain the differences or not; sometimes they try, but don’t do so well. It’s easier to compartmentalize it and think of it as its own thing.

2 Likes