Startrek timelines

Maybe not perfect but a good starting point

3 Likes

What are the numbers inside the Mirror U circles? Number of episodes?

Took a moment to figure out it was LDS and not LOS. I guess it’s for Lower Decks?

I believe so and yes you are right about it being ST lower decks

It’s missing the 29th C spot for ENT…
and the 25th C spot for TNG (All Good Things)
And the 20th C hits for TOS.
And the 21st C hits for DS9…

In other words, it’s missing all the far ends of the time travel episodes.

As I said a good start from someone that would be a good guide but needs built on :slight_smile:

Yeah, it has some gaps but overall I like the image. Thanks for posting it.

I think it would quickly become very convoluted if it was entirely comprehensive. I like it as is personally.

And the 31st C for DSC :slight_smile: However you look it, it’s probably the most complex timeline to attempt comprehensively outside of Marvel comics…

The issue I see here though is that the Kelvin and TOS timelines are supposed to be the same timline until the Kelvin-Narada incident - when it actually splits.

The Star Trek-timeline is quite simple. You can link every season of every show to a certain year. Some years I’ve made a list of all facts that allow us to chronological place all shows and all movies. It misses the Kelvin-Timeline and DIS. Here are the facts and my conclusions:

Facts:

• “The Cage”: It takes place 13 years before “The Menagerie”.
  • “The Deadly Years”: Kirk is 34 years old.
  • “Journey to Babel”: Sarek is 102.437 years old
  • “Star Trek – The Motion Picture”: It takes place at least 2 and a half years after the series
  • “Star Trek II – The Wrath of Khan”: Kirk mentions that he did not see Khan for 15 years. It is unclear if the label 2283 on the Romulan Ale means a stardate or a year.
  • “Star Trek III – The Search for Spock”: It takes place immediately after TWOK
  • “Star Trek IV – The Voyage Home”: It takes place three months after TSFS
  • “Star Trek V – The Final Frontier”: It takes place at least three weeks after TVH
  • “Star Trek IV – The Undiscovered Country”: It takes place 27 years after McCoy‘s first appearance in TOS. Sulu is Captain of the Excelsior for at least three years.
  • “Star Trek – Generations”: The first scenes take place 78 years before stardate 48650.1.
  • “Encounter at Farpoint”: McCoy is 137 at that time.
  • “The Neutral Zone”: The years is 2364.
  • “Sub Rosa”: The years is 2370.
  • “Eye of the Needle”: The years is 2371.
  • “The 37’s”: The years is 2371.
  • “Endgame”: The years is 2378.
  • “Homestead”: takes place around the 315th anniversary of Zefram Cochrane’s warp flight.
  • “Sarek”: Sarek is 202 years old.
  • “Second Sight”: 4 years and one day after “The Best of Both Worlds, Part II”.
  • “Cause and Effect”: The red uniforms are worn in 2278.
  • “Relicts”: Scotty is 147 years old.
  • “Trials and Tribble-ations”: 105 years, one month and twelve days after “The Trouble with Tribbles”.
  • “Q2”: Kirk’s five-year mission ends in 2270.
  • “Star Trek – First Contact”: April 5th, 2063 is the day of Zefram Cochrane’s warp flight and of the first contact with the Vulcans.

Conclusions:

• The third season of Star Trek – The Next Generation takes place a hundred years after the second season of Star Trek
  • Star Trek II – The Wrath of Khan takes place fifteen years after the first season of Star Trek
  • The fifth season of Star Trek – Deep Space Nine takes place a hundred and five years after the second season of Star Trek
  • Star Trek IV – The Undiscovered Country takes place twenty seven years after the first season of Star Trek

Only two movies could not be placed: Star Trek – The Motion Picture and Star Trek V – The Final Frontier. Star Trek – The Motion Picture happens somewhen between 2273 (two and a half years after the end of Kirk’s mission) and 2278. Star Trek V – The Final Frontier happens somewhen between 2282 and 2290.

1 Like

TNG onwards is generally easy to figure, because once we have a year, the stardate system used allows us to determine when other events happen. TNG-era stardates beginning 41xxx occur in 2364, and the second digit increases by 1 every successive year (the second digit matches the season number for TNG, and then continues on after, so Generations is a year after season seven, in 48650… in 2371).

You can even narrow it down to month and day, because the last three digits are approximately 1/1000th of a year, or about 8 hours and 45 minutes, so you can map those numbers to particular days of the year and even particular times per day, with decimals if you want more precision: Stardate 41001 is January 1st, 2364, at 0845 hours. Change that to 41001.1, and the time is now 0938 hours (each 0.1 on a Stardate is about 53 minutes, each 0.01 is just over 5 minutes, and if you’re really finicky, each 0.001 is 31.536 seconds).

I’ve used this knowledge during play, too: when figuring the stardates for new sessions, I tend to put them about a week or a fortnight apart, which means it’s easy to just add 21 or 42 (for one or two weeks) to the previous stardate, to allow for a reasonable amount of time to pass between adventures.

The problem is to get the year…

Data stated the year in episode 25 “The Neutral Zone.” It is from that point that all the date calculations are made from.

RALPH
		What year is this?

DATA
		By your calendar... two thousand
		three hundred sixty-four.

I know (see entry #9). It was the first but not the last time the actual year an episode takes place is mentioned in TNG, DS9 or VOY. Until that episode we could only know two things:

1. TNG takes place a hundred years after TOS. (McCoy’s age is given as 137.)
  2. TNG takes place in the 24th century.

Love the time line, try to wedge in a star fleet universe timeline though, that would be awesome. Come on lets shoot for “fourth major timeline”

Don’t!!! The Star Fleet Battles universe does not into the Star Trek universe, because SFB has introduced many elements which do not fit into Star Trek lore or even contrdicts it and it ignores everything made after TAS. And that’s the reason it was not closed down by Paramount years ago.

which is why it is a separate time line.

Small problem: the ships are entirely different size ranges. Even if we ignore the cosmetic, the sizes, overall designs are different.

Based upon the listed dimensions, we have 3 timelines, not two…

Original TOS/TNG/DS9/Voy
Kelvin: JJ’s ST, ST:ID, and ST:B
DIS: Dis

If we need an earlier divergence point for DIS and Kelvin, the Temporal Cold War in Ent is all the justification one needs to split the three off.

Given the TCW, I can’t see Starfleet allowing, let alone assigning, Kirk to do the jump back to the 1960’s…

WRONG!!! That’s absolutely wrong on so many levels that it could enrage even the most pacifistic Vulcan!!!
DIS is part of the prime timeline. Just because the design has been updated does not mean that it is a completely new timeline. If you use this argument than TOS should be a timeline of its own, because the design is completely different than the designs from the movies and TNG and its spin-offs. And the same should apply to TMP.

It’s not the look - its that the physical items are different sizes with not in universe explanation for those differences,
UNLIKE TOS/TAS to TMP, and TMP to the later TOS movies. TMP makes explicit the upgrade. Later TOS movies use the same, revised, Enterprise.
The Kelvinverse movies ships are proportionately 8x the volume or so. And the Kelvinverse Enterprise is not just atmospherically capable, but water capable, too.

TNG and DS9 show ships from the TOS movie era in the correct size, shape, and proportions

WIth the exception of TOS/TAS, time travel is considered a no-no… Discovery is pretty clear that time-travel is a problem, too. But not to the level of original timeline NG.
DIS also gives us a technique that I’m certain would have been drug out by the admiralty to get Voyager back with all its Borg Data… send a few spores through and a baby beastie, and ■■■■! End of Series.

Essentially, if the tech was known in the TNG timeline, it would have altered a number of occasions.

This kind of problem is why prequels are bad.

That’s wrong. Everything in TMP looked different because they had a much bigger budget. So they updated and modernized everything. It was said in the movie that the Enterprise was refitted and should be considered a new Enterprise but it was never said that they replaced everything.

[quote=“aramis, post:19, topic:8080”]
TNG and DS9 show ships from the TOS movie era in the correct size, shape, and proportions
[/quote]And you can blame the budget for that. They had to reuse the old models and the old costumes.

DIS takes place in the past of TNG. It even takes place in the past of TOS and TOS was known for its casual use of time travel! It took a lot of time to understand the problems and dangers of time travel. And it was VOY which introduced the temporal prime directive and the time ships (although DS9 introduced the Bureau of Temporal Investigations).

How? Voyager is not Memory Alpha! And the spore drive (and Discovery and its crew) had been classified as top secret after the events of season 2. They could not know about it. And even if they knew and had the schematics they still needed the spores and that would be the main problem…
And the admirality did not know that Voyager survived until they were contacted by them. And they would have the same problem, because all knowledge of the spore drive is so top secret that no one knows about it and the technology itself was lost with Discovery. See the season 2 finale of DIS for details.

The real problem are so-called fans who believe they know everything better than the creators of a show!
I remember that every new Star trek series received a lot of hate by so-called fans, starting with TNG!
There is nothing in DIS which contradicts any of the other Star Trek series or movies!

1 Like