Question about Classic episode "Balance of Terror"

Whoah, DS9 even! I’m doing a re-run right now and forgot about it. /o
Thank you! :smiley:

DS9: In purgatory’s Shadow Kira takes Defiant to warp in-system. Dax doesn’t specify what dangers it might cause, but her reaction and Kira’s reply indicates some kind of danger to the system.

1 Like

It’s not that i want to game in a world where you have whole planets being blown up, but I feel like there has to be some in-universe reason why it doesn’t happen, especially with so many ruthless organizations in the Trek universe (Obsidian Order, Tal Shiar, Orion crime syndicates, the Dominion, various terrorist groups, almost everybody in the Mirror Universe), some of whom have tried to commit genocide on-screen.

Well, some say that Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) does work. Maybe interstellar conventions against genocide do. Or maybe the Qs deem it boring and snap out any ship trying out of existence. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

MAD works when all parties concerned consider continued existence to be a high priority.

As fanatics with explosive underwear evidence, that isn’t always the case.

I did come up with a non-Trek setting once that allowed for this, based loosely on ideas from Babylon 5. B5-style hyperspace was a thing, allowing FTL travel within it. One of its features was very high density mass shadows of real space objects, making it a bad idea for vessels to enter or leav hyperspace to close to a planet or star. Of course, that could be weaponised, by firing a missile at a planet’s mass shadow, then drop it out of hyperspace just above the surface. Result, near-light speed impact.

They were called Hyperspace-Assisted Planetary Core Insertion Devices, and both sides in the main conflict had them. Gave me a setting with true Cold War vibes.

2 Likes

I actually really like that idea.

Instead of ICBMs you talk about HAPCIDs.

Which is what I did :smiley:

I used to be quite good at acronyms; I probably ought to post my special forces ideas at some point!

1 Like