Pre-generated characters?

There really are 4 methods…

1. in-play method.
  2. Spend all the points (technically a variation on in-play,)
  3. Lifepath, talents picked at each step earned
  4. Lifepath, talents picked at end.

4 allows a number of combinations that 3 cannot.
1 and 2 are going to provide a different outcome much of the time than either 3 or 4, or each other. 3 and 4 constrain the options, and build a backstory in the process.
1 provides a character tailored to first few sessions.
2 provides direct start with concept. But it doesn’t tailor to the story needs the way 1 does.

Each approach can, in theory, produce nearly identical characters (some under 2 & 4 cannot be done under 3; using variation 3, you can’t have 4 talents which require 4+ in the same discipline).

Tailoring which you allow in your campaign will shape how the resulting characters look.

This isn’t unique to STA nor even d20. It was also an issue in Decipher Trek, also Marc Miller’s Traveller, and Mongoose Traveller.

Point spend gave you what you wanted easily, but the cost was in backstory generation. You needed a concept in mind. It also resulted in generally higher skill levels, but narrower skill bases, or, rarely, much lower high skills, but a few levels in just about everything.
The background generation systems were much slower, and provided a mixture of moderately high core skills, and a range of lower outside skills, with notable gaps.

With the lifepath method, you add talents periodically throughout the creation process. So done talents have to be taken before you have a sufficiently high discipline score to qualify for some talents. As such, you would never be able to have a brand new lifepath character with 4 talents that each have a minimum discipline restriction of 3 or 4, whereas a creation in play character already has all the discipline points available upfront, and can select talents accordingly.

Aye. Same here! It’s great!
Also, I am curious on how random characters work in play. As a player, I’d totally give that a try. :slight_smile:

I find it hard as a player to play without knowing my character’s capabilities.

As a GM, it’s harder to plan for.

It’s also a time-sink. Picking in play takes more time than picking before play - for some, considerably more - and the pause can really interrupt flow of play.

Frankly, I have no problem with someone wanting to generate a new character a few episodes into the game. Perhaps the science guy decides he would rather be an engineer or something.

I’d ratther they do that having had a good experience with their first character, @lightjammer