New Players and Momentum

I’ve managed to get a few games under my belt now as a GM and the thing I found players found hardest to get their heads around was how momentum works. Its certainly is a great mechanic and a fab way to drive forward and build heroic moments. I’ve made up a little quick reference sheet which I leave laying about or pin to the back of the character sheets.
If anyone would like to use it then link here…
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr7d48u7t7ozuvo/momentum%20spend1.pdf?dl=0
I’ve found it doesn’t take long for players to get the idea but it helps. I also encourage the use of momentum as narrative, preferring a nice little description from the player (eg; “I’ve come across this style of lock before, its common in Aqualonian merchant houses” rather than I’ll spend some points to make me open the lock faster).
Anyone else have any tips on getting new players used to momentum use?

1 Like

love it Sarge!
One issue- 1st topic- last sentence- in parenthesis- change “max of 6 saved doom” to momentum.
Other than that- i will use this myself- cheers for sharing

1 Like

Dressing the mechanical action in role-play is always awesome and I encourage it in one way or another in my games no matter the system… though when combat prolongs sometimes we roll back to the D&D where you meta-play rather than role-play.

Thanks for the heads up on the typo…now altered and correct.

Funnily enough I have found it was the experienced D&D players that became mechanical with it, the less experienced players who had not really done much RPG before seemed to have no such issues.

Not only you have this observation. :slight_smile: Since I stopped playing and GM-ing D&D and started using much more fun game systems I found out that the D&D players have hardest time doing real roleplay. Only the really good and experienced players can switch and not struggle with the new systems. But even they sometimes think in the confines that D&D imposes and struggle with the freedom provided by the narrative systems. If there are tons of rules, exceptions etc. some people block and have no idea what to do. Which is quite sad.

It seems majority of D&D games are focused on the combat part and so many people have totally wrong idea what roleplay means and how to do it right so it does not look stupid and out of place. The streams I have watched are just combat after combat and some superficial roleplay to move to the next scene. No real development, no real roles are being played.

2 Likes

I have the same experience too. D&D players expect the GM to do all the narration.