JohnK's Friday and Sunday John Carter of Mars Campaigns

Hullo, folks,

I thought that folks might be interested in the John Carter of Mars RPG campaigns that I’m running, so have decided to start a thread here.

I have two gaming groups, one that plays on Friday night with five players in it, and one that plays on Sunday afternoons with two players in it (always looking for new players).

So, first off, I thought I’d provide some basic information on the player characters for each gaming group. First off, the Friday night characters.

++++++++++
KathyB - She pretty much knew what she wanted to create, and decided on a somewhat reformed Rogue, mostly a thief but with some interesting twists to the character. Santi Sarkos is a red Martian thief with a penchant for exploring and stealing and has a way with a knife.

Angela - She looked over the Archetypes and decided that she wanted to play an adventurer, specifically an explorer. Ollia Tarkun is a red Martian Explorer who doesn’t tend to take risks unless she can avoid it.

Ellie - She looked over the various character Archetypes, but wasn’t sure what she wanted to play at first. She decided to play Xosa Sassek, a First Born Airship Pilot who has been exiled for something she did. She’s under pain of death to never reveal the secret of the religion surrounding Issus.

Mark - Looking over the Archetypes, Mark was pretty taken with the Envoy, and created a red Martian diplomat by the name of Atros Aasan who is very much in love with a woman he met in his home city’s rival. He’s relatively smart but gets people.

Peter - He was quite looking forward to playing the game, and looking over the Archetypes, he decided he wanted to play a former healer turned panthan (mercenary). Kantos Shamm is a Panthan with a secretive history and a knack for healing those he fights and seriously injures.
++++++++++

Then we have the two players in the Sunday gaming group.

++++++++++
SteveR - He had an idea of what he wanted to create after we went over the Archetypes for the game system, and settled on an explorer. He created Kartos of Pakku (one of the cities I’ve added in the game), an Explorer with a background that I’m still waiting on.

Tammy - Tammy went over the Archetypes with me, and eventually settled on Jaxti Jarr, a red Martian scientist with a penchant for technology that often gets her into trouble.
++++++++++

Both gaming groups are playing in a region of Barsoom that I’ve created, called the Principality of Karakh, located some 3,500 haads to the northeast of the Forest of Lost Men.

In the posts from this point, I’ll be providing links to the game sessions of both gaming groups.

Thoughts and comments here are always welcome. :slight_smile:

JohnK

2 Likes

Hullo, folks,

As promised, here’s the start of the various campaign session links for my John Carter of Mars campaigns with the Friday and Sunday gaming groups.

First up, the starting session for the Friday night campaign…

In which the player characters begin their adventures on Barsoom by witnessing the crash of a small airship…
Friday Night Game, Session 1

Hope folks enjoy this stuff. Thoughts and comments are always welcome. :slight_smile:

JohnK

3 Likes

Hullo, folks,

Here’s the link to the second session of the Friday night group.

[In which the player characters explore the ruins of Kovarr, and are in for the fight of their lives!]
Friday Night Game, Session 2

Thoughts and comments are always welcome. :slight_smile:

JohnK

2 Likes

Hullo, folks,

Here’s the link to the third session of the Friday night group.

In which the player characters continue to explore the ruins of Kovarr, and get a nasty surprise
Friday Night Game, Session 3

This session was played just this past Friday, July 5th. Have to say I’m loving this game!

JohnK

2 Likes

Hullo, folks,

Here’s the start of the Sunday gaming group campaign, redux, for reasons explained in the blog entry itself.

The player characters find themselves at the airship docks of the southeast city of Pakku in the Principality of Karakh preparing to head out on a mysterious mission…
Sunday Afternoon Game, Session 1

This game session was played this past Sunday, July 7th.

JohnK

3 Likes

Kaor
I’ve just skimmed the content right now. If you’re worried one of the player’s is “withdrawn”, I’d suggest reading his/her sheet and challenging him/her, prompting action regarding his/her story, motivations, Talents, etc.

HtH

Kaor, RCautela,

Oh, I do that all the time with his characters in every single game we play. He rarely ever takes up the challenge or the onus of stuff, as he prefers to be a follower and all. That said, he’s been more proactive in John Carter than any other game system we’ve played, so I consider it to be a “win” so far.

JohnK

1 Like

Kaor, folks,

Yes, I know, I haven’t posted to the thread in a while…

Here’s the second session of the Sunday gaming group for folks.

The player characters make their way by airship to the ruined city of Tharsis, and discover a few surprises there
Sunday Afternoon Game, Session 2

This game session was played on Sunday, July 14th.

Thoughts and comments are always welcome. :grinning:

JohnK

2 Likes

Kaor, folks,

Here’s the fourth and final session of the first adventure with the Friday night gaming group.

In which the player characters have some dealing with an airship and its crew
Friday Night Game, Session 4

Note this session was played on Friday, July 19th.

Thoughts and comments are welcome. :grinning:

JohnK

2 Likes

Kaor, folks,

Here’s the third session of the first adventure with the Sunday afternoon game group.

The player characters come up with a plan, and start to make their way into the ruins of Tharsis
Sunday Afternoon Game, Session 3

Note that this game session was played on August 11th.

Thoughts and comments are welcome. :grinning:

JohnK

2 Likes

Game session 1 was a wonderful read. I’ve only just found JCoM, and really look forward to more episodes from you! Thanks!

Tim

Do you play using a virtual tabletop and voice chat? If so, could you use 1-2 or so more players? I am interested and I could possibly bring either my close gaming buddy or my fiancé. What time do you guys typically play?

So I’m way late here, but I wanted to thank JohnK for posting his game summaries. Very inspirational. Found a couple more on the blog that aren’t posted here, but it looks like both games ended far too soon!