"Hex-Crawling" the Shackleton Expanse

I have a bunch of other questions. Some of these fall into the realm of “I’m trying to apply science-y math to a fundamentally math-light set of rules” but I have difficulty ignoring real world science, even if it’s in a realm that’s not fully understood.

So here are my questions:

1. The Shackleton Expanse book uses some planetary classes that do not appear in the Core rulebook. I think, mostly, there’s enough information about the classes to understand what they are. The one I don’t fully understand is the Class-I (Ammonia Clouds) class. The Star Trek: Star Charts book describes Class-I planets as gas supergiants (not to be confused to gas ultragiants, Class-S and Class-T). Are these two Class-I designations describing the same world? The Star Charts book uses this text: “Tenuous, comprised of gaseous hydrogen and hydrogen compounds; generates heat.” Ammonia is a hydrogen compound. Is that what’s being described?

2. There are, sadly, no instances of Class-H, Class-N, Class-T or Class-Y generated by the tables (there are a bunch of other classes, in Star Charts, but those four are listed in the STA Core book).

3. The Inner Worlds Table and the Outer Worlds Table are the same (in my v1.1 version of the Shackleton Expanse book). Is that right?

4. Some other RPGs (e.g. GURPS: Space) assert that most giant stars (e.g. Luminosity Ia, Ib, II) don’t have planets. There doesn’t seem to be anything in the rules about that.

5. A thing I have difficulty wrapping my head around: the primary world’s orbit number is generated by die roll. I can, for example, roll up an M5V with 7 orbits, where the primary world (a terrestrial planet) is in orbit #5. But a star that insubstantial has a very close garden zone. (GURPS: Space says 0.1 to 0.2 AUs; Star Hero argues 0.025 to 0.042 AUs). If my terrestrial world is that close to the star, it seems unlikely that there are four inner orbits containing other planets. (Maybe I should imagine that the terrestrial world circles a gas giant that’s providing necessary heat?)

BC

1 Like