GM Screen.. lack of

That can be true but not in every group, surely that is a decision for the customer rather than the publisher, especially since there are many other games they do which do have ref screens.

It’s 100% a decision for the publisher as the ones who need to pay for it and ensure it’s profitable. If a game is fairly niche (like everything not D&D) and then you need to account that screens are only bought by the GM and then only a percentage of them it’s just not worth it generally.

Ultimately it’s not difficult to make your own. I made a multi-game/reusable screen with dollar store material for less than $10. Some 8.5x11 painter’s canvases, some white duct table, some clear plastic page protectors and double sided tape is all that’s needed for the basic screen and then a little bit of work customizing it and you’re all set.

On this I agree, and I have zero problems with a publisher stating something to the effect of ‘gm screens are not making us enough money, so we won’t publish them’.

But a publisher telling their player base that ‘using a gm screen is bad practice, so we won’t publish one’ (to paraphrase your original statement) comes across as patronizing and something that’s likely to worsen my opinion of them.

Caveat: I have no way to tell if this really Modiphius’ official position or just your (Grendel’s) understanding, as stated.

It’s one of the reasons discussed in the Discord.

If none of Modiphius’ games had Gm screens that would be one thing but I personally own both the Dune and Conan screens and I know that STA has a GM screen, so why this game?

The money went towards bottle cap tokens… you can never have enough cardboard bottle caps. Personally, I like to bring the real thing to the gaming table. Thank You Peroni, Miller, Budweiser, Stella Artois, Sol, Moretti etc etc for your contributions to my immersive rp’ing

2 Likes

Just came back to forums after spotting the Official GM Screen - I’ll nick your contributions and redesign my screen - Thanx Matey :+1: