Checking my understanding of AI for Adversaries

We like the idea of Adversaries not always doing what is expected, but it seemed pretty easy for a skeleton archer to do something we didn’t understand at all. One was within 6" of a follower, rolled a Move, and went into contact. So it didn’t shoot, didn’t stay where it was to shoot next time, and once it moved into contact, didn’t attack. It didn’t seem very cautious. A Move is pretty likely for these things. (The skeleton uses the draugr AI card, just uses path of shadow and cautious? We didn’t see a different card.)

Also, do you interpret very strictly whether an Adversary would have to move out of the shortest path to cover? This skeleton could have moved a bit to one side and ended in cover, but that wouldn’t have been the shortest path towards target.

Again, we like the idea of Adversaries doing different things than what we expect, in principle. This may just be an example of one of those. But we don’t want them doing dumb things that help us win more easily.

We were starting with Hold the Gates, and at first thought we didn’t have a chance. We forgot that only a few (depending on septim limit) activate each turn. But once we survived the initial rush, we only had a few on the board at a time anyway, and it ended up being pretty easy.

We did not end up closing the gates. Would we have won if we had closed both gates before getting to 12 VP? It seems we would by story, but didn’t seem so by victory conditions.

thanks
andy

Once the Skeleton is in contact it is considered Engaged and it automatically attacks.

We find that the AI system works best when you consider what is tactically sensible for the adversaries, and don’t be afraid to modify the results a bit. If it makes sense for a Skeleton to move into cover instead of engage with its daggers, go for it.

Thank you. Could you please refer to the rule that says that if the skeleton makes it into contact in a Move response he will attack? I see on page 60 that if they are already Engaged they will attack, but that’s at the beginning of being activated. I don’t see that if a Cautious model makes it into contact in a Move response that it will attack. An Aggressive model is explicitly said to attack if it can.

I’m looking for clarity, not arguing. Thanks!

And I can see that we could ignore the AI rules to either have it move to cover or to attack if it makes contact. But we would really like the AI rules to take over as much as possible.

thanks

andy

It’s an inference that we should have made explicit. If you move two models so that their bases touch they are considered to be Engaged, otherwise you have to stop at least 1/2 inch away. If the Skeleton moves up to a figure but doesn’t stop 1/2 inch away it is therefore engaged. Next time it activates it is Engaged, so doesn’t roll on the Adversary table and instead automatically uses the Attack response.

Thanks, I appreciate explanations. The Move response says to go as close as possible, so I think would have contacted and attacked.

thanks,

andy