A response when adversary is engaged

When an adversary (let’s say a normal Draugr) is being engaged, and we are playing Battle mode, this Draugr reacts and gets 2 actions, it does not roll the matrix, and it is an A response automatically. In this case, it attacks with a powerful boost, and next, it might block with the greatsword because it has the two-handed block keyword , but I don’t see that in the rulebook, is it right to block in this case, isn’t?

As written currently, then no it wouldn’t block after attacking if it’s already engaged when it activates.

When you go A response section, it seems there is always a reason to spend an action before attacking, or after moving without attacking, but there is no explanation about when they are engaged (if the adversary is engaged, and it carries sword and board, the logic would be the same, it is pretty common they attack and then block)

Logically; sure.

Rules as they’re written; they wouldn’t block.

As ever when playing Adversaries, adapt the response to something more realistic if it seems to not make sense; this is a feature within the rules (though it’s not something I’d necessarily apply here personally). Strict adherence to the rules as presented though; it would make its melee Attack and then its activation would end.

Strictily, the rulebook does not say anything about that situation, it explains how to act when they are engaged and they have a preferred ranged attack, spending 2 actions in the A response, but not how to spend any action when they are engaged and have a preferred melee attack, the rulebook lacks of that info. The rest of the rules explain how to act when they are not engaged, usually spending the first action to move and then attack, but that is not the same situation obviously

It doesn’t lack anything as such; it states that, if they are already Engaged they perform an Attack response. It just happens that this response doesn’t include a block action if they can actually make any sort of attack. There’s nothing in the rules that states that adversaries have to use 2 actions; there’s quite a few situations in which they won’t and this is one of them.

If the basic process of an Attack response (if they’re preferred attack is melee) can be broken down as:

1. Move to Engage if possible.
  2. Make a melee Attack

then all that is changed by them already being engaged is that 1. is effectively completed by default and they move on to 2. This isn’t specifically mentioned as part of the rules for adversaries already being engaged because it’s unnecessary; they’re still making the attack, which is the intent of the response.

The additional comment where the engaged adversary Withdraws and then makes a ranged attack if able is specific to if a model doesn’t actually have a melee attack NOT just if ranged is they’re preferred attack.

I don’t think that info should be “unnecessary”, any official rulebook should have everything stated, even the obvious things (in this rulebook there are redundant information too).

There is enough space in that page/paragraph to add a line about the engaged situations:

“… A response. If they have a melee weapon, attack with 1st action and end their activation. If they don’t have it, and they have a ranged weapon, withdraw and then attack. If they don’t have a weapon…”

If you are going to be strict, you should be “strict” always, so you don’t need to guess what’s next in any situation, it should be stated, not letting anything on the “void”.
Just my opinion.

I agree in principle; it should be made clear. I just thought in this particular scenario it already was.

All of that aside, this particular scenario may very well play out differently when the rules are updated and have already been addressed :neutral_face:

1 Like

Hey both,

Rules as written, they would check the first part of the response which is to Move to Engage in Melee. If they are already Engaged, they cannot Move to Engage - they are already there. They would then follow the Unable path of the Response.

Rules as intended however, I would say that ‘Move to Engage in Melee’ also includes situations where you have already Engaged an enemy.

@JimmyW is correct too. Adversaries don’t need to do two Actions every Action.

Play the first step of this as ‘Move to Engage in Melee or is Engaged’.

1 Like