About the "Ask a question" Momentum option

Page 25

ASK A QUESTION
You can spend 1 Momentum to ask the gamemaster a question about the scene. The gamemaster will give you a truthful answer, according to what your character would be able to discover in that situation and from that skill test, and the answer may not be a complete one.

I don’t get that at all. And the example page 35 does not help.

Are we supposed to spend Momentum to ask such a simple question as “How is the house lit?”

Isn’t it the kind of question a player can ask the GM anyway, and expect “a truthful answer, according to what your character would be able to discover in that situation and from that skill test, and the answer may not be a complete one” ?

Are Dishonored DM supposed to answer falsely to simple questions? That makes no sense.

1 Like

That’s what i thought too at first. Took me a while to understand it a bit better.

My understanding is the question bypasses all the possible hurdles of getting information (within reason). So the GM should have Characters gathering information. Some of which might normally need a study roll. So if a player says “what’s lighting the place” the gm might ask “do you look around to find out?” A 0 difficulty task.

So momentum questions means instant knowledge. Not super useful in many cases, but if i roll a study cleverly test to do some research on a target, and then ask the question “Is there a backdoor to their house?”

You could of reasonably gained that information so i just tell you. No chance of a false lead, no roll to see if you find the info. Just an direct answer.

The torch example isn’t… The best tho. It’s on the fence of how much effort and time it’d use up i could see it as needing a spend and i can see it as being the GM being too stiff.

A lot of what is Spend worthy and what isn’t would be up to the GM.

Thanks for your answer.

That’s a way of looking at it. Momentum allows you to get an answer that’s worth a check, but without the check. That could work.

I agree that the explanation could be clearer and the example better chosen.