2d20 tests/successes rule clarification

In the Players Guide page #20 the example “Safe ■■■■■■■”. It looks to me like Greg would score 3 successes, 2 for rolling the ‘3’, and 1 for rolling the ‘9’. How does he get 4 successes? Thank you,

1 Like

If his focus is Mechanical Engineering (which would make sense to me as a GM), he scores 2 successes for rolling the 3 and another 2 for rolling the 9. They’re both underneath his target number and having a relevant focus doubles the effect of the success.

Thanks for the response. I thought focus only expanded the range of critical successes, based on the skill value (Players Guide p. 48), which would not be higher than five. So, Gregg has focus on mech engineering (e.g. Engineering 3) so that would give him, say, a crit success on rolls of 1, 2, and 3, but not a roll of 9. I am missing something.

1 Like

Looks like a typo to me. You’re correct in that is should only be 3 successes.

3 Likes

It does need to be made more explicit. The other examples in the book (which I’ve just been rereading in preparation for starting to GM the game for a new group) all seem to point to getting double successes for rolling equal or less than the Skill component with a focus.

Still… we need some clarification and/or that particular example to be corrected, please, Modiphius!