What’s the quality for a starting character’s assets?

What’s the quality for a starting character’s assets?

I assume they start at quality 0, and you’d need to advance them up from there (with the possible exception of ubiquitous items like knives and shields, which a sidebar implies can start at Quantity 1–letting a starting character own a chris knife).

So, if you wanted elite troops, you’d need to start with raw conscripts and train them up through advancement?

I’ve allowed quality 2-3 assets to the players, not sure if that won’t be too much so far, but why not.
A player also chose Elite Troops, but at quality 0 I don’t see how they can be that elite… I may miss something.

RAW all assets start at 0, with some exceptions like Crysknives.
If you create an asset you have the option of boosting it’s quality by 1 temporarily by spending some momentum. I have ruled that my players can do that for the assets they already control.

As long as you are even in how you to distribute the assets I don’t see a problem with letting players take higher quality assets at start. You will need to adjust their opponents to match but as long as everyone is having fun then that is all that matters.

3 Likes

I think the intention is mostly Quality 0 unless, imo, it is related to their primary Domain. Also, under the asset itself it will say sometimes what Quality it is. ie. Elite Troops are Quality 3-4 in the description, so I give players who choose them Q3 elite troops. That asset equates to one small unit/ squad, maybe 4-6 members strong.

All starting assets are Quality 0 unless you do something else with them.

For that reason starting assets should have a broader description that might help them apply in other cases.
So your knife might be a gift from the Emperor. As such it can be used to gain a the bonus of an asset in a fight, but also in a social situation where proof of the Emperor’s favor might be useful.

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply!
If the Elite Troop Asset says in the description they are Quality 3-4 troops, do they start at 3 if taken at character creation? Just curious if the description text overrides the start at 0 stipulations etc.

So, if you wanted elite troops, you’d need to start with raw conscripts and train them up through advancement?

Not of need.
While the troops are an asset trait, some types of traits can have other traits.
So, your quality 0 Elite Troops can be defined with an “elite” trait; when you use them, reduce the difficulties by 1 for anything elite troops should be able to do better. But they still don’t come back when they’ve taken damage…

Think of them like a well trained SWAT team in a city that never had one before, and chose only the best new recruits so as to not have the team compromised by bad habits from street duty… but none of the team are well tested.

2 Likes