Star Trek Adventures Online Character Generator

Yeah, the text for the spaceframes contains a lot of info about “out of service” dates, and I intend to support that. At the same time, the original code only supported “out of service” dates for exactly 1 ship type: the constitution (you can select an NX in Next Gen apparently).

So I will get a more fuller implementation of “out of service” dates; it just hasn’t happened yet. Often the out of service dates aren’t exact, so some hand-waving has to happen.

But thanks for the comment.

BC

There’s another possibility: the Klingon ships you’re seeing in the 24th century (and especially in DS9) past 2350 aren’t D-7s but refitted K’tinga cruisers. Remember that the K’tinga is newer than the D-7 but uses a nearly identical spaceframe. There is even a write-up for refitted 24th century K’tinga cruisers (circa 2366) on page 89 of the Gamma Quadrant book. That explains the discrepancy that BrianDavion noticed.

3 Likes

Just had an idea that probably is a bit odd as a feature request.
Adding in various fan character sheet types like the Romulan one that’s out there and talents made by the Continuing Mission group, could include a source button for Continuing Mission resources.
I know for some species there doesn’t seem to be anything so far that suggests we’ll get talents for Jem’Hadar or Vorta for example so having the fan work added could be helpful for people wanting to make those kinds of characters so they don’t have to go back and modify the sheet after.

1 Like

*nod*

It’s an idea that I’ve certainly toyed with (adding “Continuing Missions” as an unofficial source). I’d need to chat with the Continuing Mission folks about their comfort level, mind you.

But thanks for posting the idea. I’ll add it to the backlog.

BCing you

2 Likes

The tricky part there is how to clearly differentiate CM content from Modiphius content. It’s entirely possible that we’ll be publishing content over time that CM may have already done. I guess the builder could show both CM and Modiphius version of a species and then the player and gamemaster can decide which to use in their game.

3 Likes

Yeah thinking about it from just a best way for the interface as a user, adding a button that states it’s Unofficial or Continuing Mission (both?) would be ideal and the species entries would be listed separately like you said and I think even the original did for like both Ferengi and Changelings.

Don’t forget that this should apply to starships as well, not just characters/species…assuming that fanmade starship classes are going to be added to the character generator.

This leads into another question: if fanmade stuff is going to be added to the generator, should there be a citation of the fan creator/author somewhere? And if several fanmade versions of a particular species or starship class exist, does each version need to have its author (where known) cited?

This is why i don’t think nonofficial ones should be added.

3 Likes

What about, as an alternative, some sort of custom lineage/spaceframe option, where you can manually add the stats yourself?

It would be more work on that step for the user, but would allow them to add anything fan made, while also being able to use the later steps as you can currently

Nice idea. It would be followed-up by a request to save those stats for later and/or public use. Which, in turn, would create the need to curate those inputs.

Adding sources like Continuing Mission that are already curated, seems like the better approach to me. “Collisions” (same species/spaceframe/talent of differenct sources) could be indicated by a little icon and/or “fan-made content” in brackets. Also, general rules like “fan-made content extends only” (which would default to the official variant and not showing homebrew versions) could be implemented. Or this rule is enforced for the database, meaning that no fan-made content for already existing species/spaceframes/etc would be introduced and fan-made content would be deleted upon creation of an “official” version.

Citation is easy: Provide a link to CM. Provided that CM is fine with integration of their stuff into the Generator. And, yes. Citations come in packs. :smiley:

I, personally, would not ask this much work of @bcholmes. I am, just like @Sans, very fine with implementation of only official Modiphius stuff.

1 Like

Personally I’d just say no to the idea of saving them. Save the reference data instead and commit to the 30 seconds to typing it in each time :rofl:

Alternatively, not adding any would also get my vote. I can just see the posts now about “I made a ship, why isn’t that on there?!”.

3 Likes

Oh a minor thing, for Augmented Ability talents when you take it you have to go back and manually make them an Augment currently in the traits section.
Is it possible to have those talents automatically add Augment to their traits?

1 Like

Speaking of ships, would I would love to see the ship outline match the ship class.

Have you tried the app in the last few days?

BC

Corey Belote started the ship outline PDFs last year and Mr Gone and I have continued the process. More on this when I get home from work.

I haven’t needed to gen anything for a while. Does this do that now? Might have to make a few ships just to play with that feature!

It does. It’s a pretty new feature. (And, at the moment, it only supports the TNG Starship Sheet).

It’s one of the features that’s been in the back of my head for a while – I remember stumbling on this collection of alternate sheets and thought “wouldn’t it be great if the sheet could dynamically adjust to show the right outline?” I finally sat down and implemented the feature.

(There’s a handful of ships that I don’t have an outline for yet, but most of them are supported).

BC

3 Likes

To be honest, I have not. And looking over it now, this is awesome.

Thank you.

I’m going to check out this outline feature now.

Bcholmes, if you need starship outlines, check out my Corey Belote-style starship PDFs here. These include the PDFs that Corey created last year as well as the ones Mr. Gone and I have created since. Most of them are Federation starships and shuttles, but there are a few Klingon, Romulan and even Ferengi starship PDFs there also. The whole shebang is there in that folder.

1 Like

I just tried the Hermes, Sovereign and Steamrunner. None of those sheets used anything other than the Galaxy outline. Which ship classes have their outlines converted?