Star Trek Adventures Online Character Generator

Thanks for the clarification.

There are a few answers to that question.

1. At the moment, character creation goes through the entire lifepath creation and then stops. That means that characters created are “as at first creation”.
  2. It’s not terribly hard to give people an option to say “now I want to add additional milestones” at the end of that process. But that doesn’t help folks who’ve been playing the game for a year and now want to upgrade their characters. They’d have to start at the beginning again and make the same selections all over again just to get access to the upgrade options.
  3. Characters (and also Starships) aren’t “saved” in any sense (in truth, the only place a character’s data exists is either in the user’s browser or on the PDF file that they generate. None of that data goes to a server, so there’s no place to save the data). Having said that, I’ve had some thoughts about creating a “magic url” that people could use to re-constitute their character, or giving people an option to download a special “character file” that they could re-use. (This sort of idea seems interesting when one thinks about, for example, integration with tools like Roll20.) If one can re-constitute a previously-made character, then one could update the character.
  4. There are downsides to (3). Most notably, if I want to change the way something works, I have a lot of flexibility. Once I need to start thinking about “previously ‘saved’ character”, I need to always be mindful of backward compatibility.
  5. But there are upsides, as well. I’ve often thought about cool tools, like creating some GM aids that summarize data about a bunch of characters. Being attacked by a group of Nausicaans and their Gorn buddy (who’s a Major NPC)? Great that I have a single sheet that lists all their stats.

Anyway, that’s probably a much more involved answer than you were expecting (and probably only half of it makes sense).

The shorter version is “adding milestone extras at the end of character creation is probably straight-forward-ish” but “giving people the ability to change a character some time after they first created it is probably harder (but not impossible).”

BC

1 Like