Settlement Mode and Cards

You know battle mode is a thing right? :slight_smile:

That’s the restrictive version of the game where the list creation is more fixed (though you still don’t have to have a card per model/weapon unless (like me) you like that extra detail. And you can of course print out copies from the online files to facilitate that).

For open play, it really is designed to be a toolbox that players use to facilitate their fun. None the less, we know guidance does help, so we are including curated decks as jumping off points for some future scenarios. As ever, you can use those then tweak to suit your needs/collection.

One of the things we have come to realise as part of wave 1 is due to the nature of the way cards are spread around expansions, its near impossible to know what players have (unless you bought everything) so things have to be a little less strict as you may not have all the cards we suggest to play a scenario (for example) and everyone’s decks will be different for a settlement mode game. We are looking at different ways of working on this for future waves and will announce details in the near future when we start to talk about wave two and beyond more fully.

1 Like

I am aware of Battle Mode. The Battle Mode rules still have holes in them that allow you to do, pretty much whatever the Hell you want. I can create a Survivor force with the sole survivor as my Heroic leader, use Mama Murphy loaded up with Jet for her Foresight, add a bunch of Super Mutant Masters and Hounds for a Melee block and back them up with Paladins in power armor armed with Gatling lasers.
Even the Battle Mode rules are too wide open.

In battle mode you can only pull units from a single list. So the scenario you’re describing definitely isn’t allowed.

1 Like

Oh? Where is that rule printed? What page? What paragraph?

The downloads section has a set of Force Lists for the factions, the Survivors force list (using your example) has no points costs for Supermutant Masters, Hounds or Paladins. So you would not be able to assemble the force you mentioned using the faction lists that Section 2.0 of the battle mode rules tells you to use.

1 Like

In section 2.0 it says choose a faction, then lists fluff. OK, I choose Survivors as my faction. Where does it say I have to use that list to pick models? Where does it say I can’t use the other lists? Where does it say I have to even take a single model from the list I choose to be my faction?
It mentions the latest force restrictions and what-not on the website, but there simply are no restrictions listed anywhere.
Implications are not rules, and what you think SHOULD be there but isn’t is not a rule.
This rule system is full of holes and assumptions and needs to be cleaned up.

It says to choose a faction, then look to the downloads section of the website for force restrictions. So the sequence is:

1. Pick faction, let’s say Survivors
  2. Go to the downloads section
  3. Find the file for Survivors you were instructed to find, to get “the most recent set of points and force restrictions”
  4. The document you were instructed to reference contains a list of models you’re allowed to take, and does NOT include models from other factions

While the wording in the Battle mode PDF could have stricter language, no reasonable reading of that section (by either RAW or RAI) would lead to the conclusion that you can mix/match models from different factions.

3 Likes

You probably already thought of this, and I know it wouldn’t help online only scenarios, but for printed scenarios you could include copies of any cards needed outside of the starter set in the set the scenario comes in.

While I know I could print any cards I didn’t have from the website, it would be a nice bonus to know that there are “official” copies of the cards I need included already, without having to buy some other set that I may not want or have yet. (Cause who am I kidding, I want it all).

I would suggest some kind of table with what can be found in each scenario? (so if you don’t have the card, you can print it - but you don’t need to print it beforehand if you don’t roll it up) Having a different table for each scenario would allow customisation of what would be found in the area where the scenario would be based. (the whole, a weapon factory would have multiple weapons, but not other things like squirrel on a stick or the like.)

And while we are aware of battle mode (started there), we’re looking at the rest of the game as a whole. It just seems that each scenario we have randomly picked has questions. And not having all the sets (or in my case multiple copies of the same set) does make the chances to draw items very different on each side of the table.

Curated decks for scenarios are being added to wave 2 scenarios to give people a jumping off point for sure.

We also have a plan for wave 2 and beyond that will help card control a little easier as having the various cards spread across multiple products does make scenario generation a little harder as we can never know what people have specifically.

More soon.

3 Likes

Started a thread stickied on this forum to start compiling Battle Mode questions.

Please jump on there for further non Settlement Mode questions.

Thanks.