Regain Guard and Retaliate

It would be so nice if, like in the old times of Google+, some of the authors just drop here an official answer!!!

1 Like

The enemy notices you sneaking behind them or is enraged that you even attempt to intimidate them.

Also keep in mind that Retaliate is a Reaction and as such is not free. You have to pay Doom. And it makes other Reactions that much more expensive, such as Defend. So it may not always be desirable to Retaliate.

2 Likes

General yes.

Guy tries to fast talk to Persuade as a distraction, guy gets smacked in mouth before he can do anything.

Seems like a reasonable response.

Equally if someone Stealths into Reach and the target is aware of them (remember that you can’t attack something your not aware of) then sure, Retaliate seems fair.

Assassin is Detected but not Revealed, uses Stealth as an Exploit to sneak around behind the target. The target Retaliates by lashing out blindly with his sword. That’s a Exploit D1 and a Melee D3. They’re working in opposition to each other, so making it a struggle seems fair to me.

Same goes for feinting. A badly executed feint can leave you out of tempo and vulnerable to an attack. Retaliate covers that.

I’m not sure how reach works especially break guard and regain guard and I’m not wiser reading this topic. Could someone explain what happens and how to resolve:

1. a sneaky assassin character with either a Garrotte attacking a guard with shield and spear.
  2. Same assassin using a dagger instead.