Long Term Campaigns

I have one that’s been going on for a while that is working quite well - I have 4 veteran players and 2 new players. The veteran players have well over 30 years of RPG experience and are really good players, meaning they can look at a system and understand what is good and what is bad, but they legitimize their talent/focus/skill choices by story and/or the type of character they’re trying to play. Here are some thoughts on it.

Experience: I’ve been giving experience out per session, but as the campaign is literally a campaign, i.e., we as a group want to play out the carousing phase, the players have been banking their experience points as I’ve offered sparse opportunities for them to spend their points. This is because as a rule I only allow experience point spends during character down time, something that makes sense to all of us - a character shouldn’t attain the talent “Deft Blade” without lots of time invested into learning sword-play from a tutor, for example.

Power Creep: This campaign is an interesting one for me to play. I’ve written many, many modules, tournament adventures, and one-offs in my day, but this is the first time I’ve let my players indirectly influence the story I wanted to write. What I did was make them create all their characters, but then send me their character sheets. I took a look at the characters and simply crafted multiple scenes whereby each scene was a reflection of the strengths of one or two members of the group, the idea being that a highly specialized character will shine in one scene focused on, say, combat, but their lack of breadth skill-wise will naturally cause them to struggle in the next scene which could be social, survival, etc. This creates a natural ebb and flow of “limelight” whereby all characters shine at one point or another, and are all important pieces of the puzzle. In fact, one of the most successful characters in the group is the “jack-of-all-trades” character that is adequately skilled in a lot of things at the expense of being great at one thing. This “writing to the character sheets” has taken the players from Atlantean Ruins in the Pictish Wilderness to the Western Sea and Tortage, to the southern coast of Argos and into the prison cells of Napolitos. Under new patronage they attended the erudite gatherings of the Argossean elite, senators and merchants alike, slew those who would conspire against their patron Senator, assumed control over a mercenary company after using intrigue and deception to play the company’s members against each other, used that company to fight off their patron’s rival mercenaries (Argosseans love their mercs), were beset by slavering ghouls on the borders of Zingara and Argos, and finally fell in with another company of mercenaries off to seek work in Koth where trouble brewed (Kothics love their internecine warfare). This was all done by just reading off their skills, really - Survival, Melee, Sailing, Social, Persuade, Command, Warfare, etc.

3 Likes

Actually the xp costs of the RAW are lower from the second Talent taken onwards - with costs of 200/200/400/600/800 etc. In mine it goes 200/400/600/800/1000 etc.

I use that houserule as well. I also give no discounts for Focus, but instead require the Focus to be at least as high as the Tier of the desired Talent (so Focus 3 for Pantherish Twist, for example). Additionally I ruled that Focus can not exceed expertise.
That makes ranking up talents in skills that weren’t high at creation a bit slower.

A question for those here who raised the cost of Talents, lowered the XP awards, made other restrictions on how to improve the characters in their Conan games:

What effect did you experience after introducing those changes?

Did you feel that the Conan PCs were more “manageable” than in the RAW version of the rules?
Did this house rule solve your initial problems with too powerful, harder to challenge competent Conan characters?

What did your players say about that? Were they contend that their characters would only rarely and then rather less significantly improve?
I most of the time run Conan games, but when I am a player, I expect my character to be able to get some significant, relevant “upgrades” in each Downtime where I can spend my XP.
Were a Conan campaign slowed down regarding character improvement according to the above mentioned house rules, I most certainly would become frustrated and quit.

As a GM I do have Conan PCs in my games with 10.000+ XP. It is a challenge to actually challenge them, but it still works. I didn’t slow down the character improvement, I adapted to present more high-stakes adventures and more competent and sometimes simply more opponents.

1 Like

You are right in that Conan PCs can be combat monsters right out of character creation. That means, the measures provided don’t really stop them mowing through opponents as provided by RAW.
But it might keep them more manageable in the total sum of stuff they can do… so, a combat monster who is quickly built up to also be a charming ■■■■■■■. Meaning, while they keep their original strengths, they take longer to iron out their weaknesses.
As far as combat is concerned, the only possibility to make it more of a challenge is to improve the adversaries.

I was planning on running a Lankhmar campaign using the Conan 2d20 rules.
As in Lankhmar stories the characters have much more to struggle to get through their challenges, I was thinking about using the optional variant of Shadows of the Past, but not capping the skills at rank 3.
The cost for acquiring new skill ranks or Talents I will not change.
But I will raise the quality of NPCs, making most of them Toughened and some more even Nemesis NPCs, as mowing through minions is not that common in the Fafhrd & Grey Mouser stories.

1 Like

One thing I did for my players in my two groups was to create a story prelude for each individual player’s character. I made pregen characters for the other players to use through that story so everyone could experience it and not be bored.

I tried to incorporate as much of their backstories as possible because this was the beginning of their adventure in Hyboria. Some people mainly gave me names and others wrote extensive backstories.

Two years later they are starting to cross with some of those characters again.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about running a campaign where PCs are generated with a kind of ‘super’ shadows of the past rule - they begin with attributes of 5. Any thoughts…?

The solution I have found to work best for me is regular character generation (so starting attributes at 7), but Skills/Foci capped at 3 to start. That way, they are still above average and heroic, or perhaps potentially heroic, but they need to develop in order to realise that potential. I quite like the suggestion by someone above, to make Focus a requirement for a particular tier of Talent, i.e. Focus 3 in Acrobatics would be required for Pantherish Twist. This would also mean that a PC couldn’t put all their Talents into the same tree at creation (so no knife fighting Assassins one-shotting Nemesis level opponents on their first adventure in other words). The Skill cap also forces them to distribute their points a bit better and make more rounded characters instead of one trick ponies. I also require some sort of narrative explanation of why any given Talent is chosen during play; i.e. how the hell did you suddenly develop a Sailing Talent after you’ve just been trudging through the Stygian desert? Lastly, I usually cap Attributes at 12 instead of 14. I need a good argument from someone (i.e. convince me with narrative) why their PC is so extraordinary, and I certainly wouldn’t allow an entire party of such characters, unless it were some truly extraordinary campaign.

On the other hand, I agree with Frank that it’s good to have regular and steady development to keep a player interested. So I don’t impose any restrictions on buying Talents/Skills, nor do I increase the cost nor limit XP rewards.

As for combat monsters, just use the Squad/Mob rules as written, and buy bonus dice with Doom. Things escalate pretty fast that way. Also, include a lot of Social combat or Mental combat, or simply write less combat altogether into your campaign. Get them to focus on character development in the authorial, narrative sense… After all, there is a clue in the name — this is ROLEplaying, isn’t it?

5 Likes

I have a campaign that has been going on for nearly 3 years. We use the standard 200 xp plus 50 bonus xp rewards. As time has progressed the types of challenges the party has tackled have grown with their strengths. To be fair, we did have a tpk halfway through.

2 Likes

How many XP do the PCs in your game have now (after the TPK and new characters)?