Can Characters with character scale weapons damage starships?

Is there an official way within the rules to resolve characters shooting at small Scale 1 Vehicles like cars or shuttlecraft?

1 Like

I would like to know too.
For the moment my ruling is: No you can’t because the SFX Team doesn’t have a damage shuttle stage set at the actor size.

1 Like

I mean, yes, I’m sure? I just don’t know the rules well enough to actually point out how. You might need to create some weapons with a special trait that allows it to damage scale 1 craft though

Resistance dice (per the cover and concealment rules) might be a good way to go. So the attack and damage roll are done normally, but the shuttle has extra effect dice to reduce damage from a small weapon. So it can hit and theoretically do damage, it’s just much less likely to do said damage based on the amount of resistance dice.

You could also increase difficulty or complication range. It all depends on what the GM decides narratively. In terms of actually hitting, that may not be too hard, for a person who is a good shot. So normal difficulty would make sense, unless the shuttle is flying by at high speed. But the increased difficulty causes what might be a normal hit to not “succeed,” and the GM may describe the effect as such (the shot hits but the shuttle’s powerful shields negate the attack). Increased complications if a player charges the phaser to max power to actually do damage (either from the phaser itself overloading, or the powerful shot hitting something it shouldn’t).

Then again, phasers are extremely powerful, so you could just play it all normally.

Thinking back to the original TNG tech manuals, a phaser type-2 on maximum setting can vaporise several cubic metres of rock per shot. Given that I’d say for energy weapons on maximum settings (and that definitely requires Threat), just apply damage normally - IF the shields are down. If they’re up, then the shot would do nothing.

That said normal damage dice would almost certainly be too much - maybe one point per Effect rolled? And apply resistance?

A phaser rifle (type 3 phaser) is supposed to be able to damage small craft from what I remember reading and phasers have a “safety feature” in them that prevents them from blasting holes in spacecraft from a PDF writer’s guide I read for either TNG or Voyager when they are used in a ship.

Normal damage would be too much as suggested.