A Small "A Star Beyond the Stars" Discrepancy

It is a minor thing, but on page 45, 3rd paragraph of “Encounter: Undergound”, we get this discription:

Ahead, two triangular doors begin opening: the first is to your immediate right…

On the next page, under “Tactical Considerations”, it tells us

The doorway to the left of the Player Characters is one zone away, or at Medium range.

So, which is it? Right or left?

There is no discrepancy. The first cited paragraph is stating there are two doors, one on the immediate right and then another further down on the left. The second cited paragraph is simply telling you that the door on the left is one zone away and therefore at Medium range.

:vulcan_salute:

But its not. The last sentence in that paragraph is “A Romulan steps out of the second door.” Under TACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS on the next page, first sentence states “The Romulan is three zones away from the Player Characters.”

Here are the required paragraphs:

Pg 45, Chapter 04.40 The Pierced Veil, Act 3: Lost Civilizations

Ahead, two triangular doors begin opening: the first is to your immediate right, the second is further down the passage where the corridor makes a left turn. A Romulan steps out of the second door.

Pg 46

TACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS
The Romulan is three zones away from the Player Characters. Doorways grant 2A of Cover, provided the character is within Reach. This means the doorway must be within arm’s length of the character. Characters may declare they are moving within Reach of a doorway when they move into its zone. The doorway to the left of the Player Characters is one zone away, or at Medium range. Only two characters can use a doorway for cover at the same time.

@LeonardMcCoy, I got into this discussion with something and was trying to tell them that there was no discrepancy until I went to map this out. The discrepancy is between " immediate right" and “doorway to the left”.

I would also argue that one would think that if a door is to your immediate right, it would be in the same zone as you, not one away.

That isn’t the “discrepancy” you asked about in your original post, though.

I don’t have the Starter Set with me but if I get a chance I’ll look at it later to see about your new issue.

It may be more wordy, but the issue is with that 1st door: Where is it? Right or left? Ie “immediate right” or “to the left […] one zone away, or at Medium range”

I should have included this in the OP, as I falsely assumed that everyone had the starter set.

Yes, I think I took your abbreviated question in a way different from what you intended.

I have the Starter Set but not with me at the moment. I’ll try later to take a look at the sections you’re asking about to better understand the problem. I haven’t played through that section yet.

1 Like