RAW Question: Starship Combat Breaches from Damage

I suspect that my GM sort of wings it on such rolls, but our last starship combat caused the death of 6 members of the engineering team and our captain is having all the angsts.

I wish it were something formal and structured. Given the class of the ship, we know about how large the crew it. For each breach, I would consider the number of crew potentially in that space. So if were a weapons hit, I would guess at five or six crew for each weapon, say 3 per phaser cannon, 5 for a TOS phaser, 5-8 for TG era. I think you get the idea. I then roll one or two, potentially more D6, D8 or D10 if it strikes me as a very serious hit. If I wish to ramp up the tension I could spend a threat to increase the die type. I assume about 1/3 of the resulting number are killed outright, and the remainder wounded to varying degrees. Since all Starfleet personnel have at least First Aid (Medical one), they are capable of doing some triage to sort casualties. I assume medical personnel are assigned to dressing stations, as on a real warship, with one of the medical team being a Medical 3, another a Medical 2 and a few regular crew to do the grunt work of moving patients to their receiving stations based on severity of injuries. If I have a Chief Medical Officer, I assume that character is receiving the worst cases in sickbay. I have been a paramedic for several decades, so triage is something I know a little about. I have a system for treating patients in mass casualty situations. It is amazing to me to watch non-medically trained folks work through the variations I have built into the system - they can become quite stressed. Anyhow, I use those RPG dice I have collected over the years to effect.

1 Like