Questions about conflicts

just want some clarification on some things.

1. After an asset has moved, does it remain there in every type of conflict? example: in a Duel, I move my sword into my opponents body zone but I do not attack. Next turn, is my sword still there?

2. How does one remove an imposed trait? example: an enemy uses an asset (his feet lets say) to trip me and impose the trait: knocked down. the rulebook states that created traits last for the remainder of the scene. How do I remove this trait?

I can do those :slight_smile:

1 - Yes. Assets get moved and they stay where they are put until they get moved again, although opponents can move enemy assets as detailed in the book. Its pretty much the core of the game to move things to where they need to be so you can strike effectively. If they reset you’d just be moving them back into position each round. :slight_smile:

2 - In general it will go at the end of the scene. So being ‘dazed’ would vanish once you’ve had time for a sit down. However, it depends on the trait in question. A wound might require medical attention, so might stay until you could find a doctor. Being socially embarrassed might last until you can do something to remove the new reputation.
If that isn’t quick enough for your PCs though, check out p152. As you can use 2 Momentum to create a trait, so you can spend 2 Momentum to remove one during a scene.

1 Like

So if “knocked down” a PC can’t get up again until the end of the scene?
Unless they spend “resources” to do so?

So what point is there in having the Skills Battle or Move if you can’t use them to just stand up?

1 Like

So i’m “knocked down” and my opponent says “Get up, you filth” allowing me time to stand up and remove the trait. who pays the momentum? Does my enemy pay to remove the trait, since he…asked for it…so to speak. Or do I pay since i’m the one getting up?

Can I cheese it and say “As I stand, I try to say something flippant to recover the momentum I just spent” and roll Communicate + Truth to say something spiteful or insulting. Would it be difficulty 0?

1 Like

Where are you looking at ‘knocked down’
It may mean ‘knocked out of the fight’ rather than ‘knocked to the ground’
But I’d have to check the reference.

Because that is what vyrago mentioned in his opening post.

Correct, the trait “knocked down” was one that came up in our game. I ruled that “knocked down” would be a trait you could give someone following a successful contest. How else might you knock down an opponent?

So as I understand the rules the character now has the trait “Knocked Down” on them.
This doesn’t mean that they can’t get up, but there are after effects of them having been knocked down. Maybe they are unsteady after the blow, their confidence is knocked, etc…

An opponent can then use that trait to get an advantage against them.
At the end of the scene they recover from it or they can make it disappear early by spending momentum. Representing them recovering their footing or confidence for example.

It doesn’t have to be taken purely literally that they are knocked down until they get rid of it. But the effects of the knockdown linger.

Ah, I was thinking it was more complex than it was.
It doesn’t matter what the trait actually is, it can be removed the same way.
Battle skill will have been the reason you got momentum with which to remove the trait, as such it’s already covered.
You might just as easily apply the trait just for the character’s next action as they are hampered by trying to get up, after which the trait would no longer apply anyway because it’s pretty likely they can just get back up.

You could also add to Threat to remove the trait, representing the character potentially opening themselves up to danger as they try and seize an opportunity to get back on their feet.

The use of a Difficulty 0 test as an action to see if they can generate the Momentum to clear the trait seems like an interesting and legitimate option for a GM to use of they wish.

1 Like

Ok, so you are saying the Character could opt to remove the “knocked down” trait by making a risky move to get back on their feet, and in doing so they grant 1, or more, Threat for the GM?

For example, roll sideways to get leverage to stand up, but inadvertently expose their back to their enemy?

Yup, I’d interpret it that way.

So if you are down and have no momentum to spend, do you give your opponent threat to allow yourself to get back up ( exposing yourself to an attack to rise ).

Yes, absolutely the sort of thing that would make sense

Going to be honest; your description that I responded to is the first time any of this Asset/Trait/Momentum/Threat stuff has made any sense at all.

2 Likes

I do feel Momentum/Threat could be better explained as to what it represents narratively, I’ve had to build up an understanding over time and still hit upon improved ideas as I play more.

Momentum represents better information gleaned, higher preparedness, being well-rested, better planning, involved parties coordinating better, things like that.

So say your PCs are investigating a murder. They find evidence of the murderer, and in so doing generate Momentum for the pool. They could cash that in as an Asset representing evidence/blackmail, or improve their odds at later tests representing them having a better understanding of the case, or as Obtain Information spends representing them using the knowledge to fit together the puzzle pieces, etc.

Threat can mean the opposite ie. tired, distracted, misinformed, as well as direct threats like vulnerability or environmental danger, or indirect threats like attracting attention or enemies starting to organise against them.

Just reading the Homeworld quickstart for example recently expanded my understanding: it mentions a corridor full of electrical hazards adding Threat. Now in most RPGs they would be something like “test Agility to avoid live wires or take 1d10+4 Energy damage”. In 2d20 you could spend the Threat to do something like that, or to make tests more difficult or enemies shooting them get bonus dice due to having to take care, or them having to take extra times means the situation escalates and more enemies arrive, etc. (these are notions I came up with, not what’s specified in the quickstart)

It opens up a whole range of possibilities that a lot of RPGs either don’t offer or at least are much more restrictive in what you can accomplish with any one action. Encourages collaboration too.

1 Like

Often, my players will attempt to “study” situation beforehand in order to generate some quick momentum. They’ll roll an appropriate skill to study or observe the situation, hoping for a easy roll. But the looming possibility of complications adds a nice risk/reward to that seemingly ‘easy’ roll. So what they thought would be some quick momentum might suddenly mean 0 momentum and now a complication. That hallway of wires looked easy, until they realized theres liquid on the floor!

2 Likes