Utopia Planitia

What PG said. Any orders made from the .net webstore have shipped and are shipping now, all editions and the PDF.

Any print orders made from the .US store will ship once the US receives the stock off the boat, which is currently estimated to be late November. PDFs shipping now of course.

alrighty thanks that explains it

I think I have the updated version, and I have a question about some spaceframes. Per the creation rules, frames launched in 2368 should have 56 system points (base 40, plus 16 full decades). But the Akira has 57 (59 in core book), and the Nova has 55 (also 55 in core book). Is there a reason for that?

Isn’t size taken into account when calculating these numbers? It’s just off the top of my head and I don’t have the possibility to check in the rules right now. But it strikes me that a Nova class is small and an Akira is big. :wink:

Early spaceframes like the ones in the core book were calculated with a slightly different system, or so I think I remember reading somewhere in the UP book. And yes, size as well as crew complement are both determinative for calculating a ship’s Scale. It’s also definitively stated (for example) that a kilometer-long ship with a crew of only 12 people will still be Scale 2 despite its large size and because of its small crew. It’s a balance between the two (or so it seems to me) but if there is a conflict between physical size and crew size, then the latter is more determinative. Also, technological advancement might also be a factor since the ISS Charon, a 9km-long starship that had only duotronics (and other 23rd Century tech) was only Scale 6 (the same Scale as the 24th Century Galaxy-class, only 642 meters long). Perhaps the Charon only had a crew size of 1,000 people (the same as the Galaxy class) and that’s why they have the same Scale?

But there’s an additional factor that is affected by Scale. A Scale 3 ship (like the Nova) will have 1 System Point subtracted from its total, while a Scale 5 ship (like the Akira) will have a System Point added to its total (and a Scale 6 ship will have 2 added, and so on). Scale 4 ships are the standard size in starship creation that don’t have a System Point added or subtracted either way.

1 Like

Just noticed in the description (after seeing it in the startrek.com gift guide) that the collector’s editions have leather covers. Is it actual leather, or leatherette/plastic? (The Disco campaign collector’s says leatherette.)

Curious. On the Modiphius.net page:

• both UP collector’s editions are said to have “leather” covers
  • the DISCO collector’s edition is said to have “leatherette” covers
  • the Klingon Core Rulebook collector’s edition is said to have “leatherette” covers
  • descriptions on both the Player’s and the Gamemaster’s Handbook is silent on covers

With all the foils and embossed details etc. I think it’s leatherette (and I clearly hope it is…).

They’re all textured vinyl leatherette.

3 Likes

I was going through the space station section of Utopia Planitia and I saw there wasn’t any mention of the basic docking capacity rules presented in the Command book (I think it was the Command Book). It said that all stations scale 9+ has a number of ports equal to half the station scale (round down) and each port can dock 1 ship up to half station scale (round down) in scale. The Talent “Docking Capacity” (in my opinion should be called "Expanded Docking Capacity) makes like the basic rule is listed somewhere in UP. Did I miss the basic docking rule(s)?

In my looking through UP, it seems to assume a certain amount of knowledge from the Core/other books. Its store page does say “This book requires a Star Trek Adventures core rulebook to use” (as do the other Sourcebooks such as the quadrants).

(Previous post deleted since I didn’t make it a direct reply; I thought it would disappear but it seems that everyone can see my mistake)

Reading through the Utopia Planitia guide - there’s a big difference between the rules for the Spread effect for energy weapons:

Utopia Planitia: >Spread: If one or more effects are rolled, the attack causes an additional hit that deals half the damage of the initial hit +1 for every effect rolled after the first. The additional hit is resolved separately, reduced by Resistance, reduces Shields, and potentially causes an additional breach.

Rules Digest: >Spread: The attack inflicts multiple hits; for each effect rolled, the attack inflicts one additional hit to a random System… each of which deals half the Stress of the initial hit, rounding up, +1 for every Effect rolled after the first. These additional hits are resolved separately, and each is reduced by Resistance, reduces Shields, and potentially causes Breaches individually.

I think I prefer the UP version - but is there consensus on which is the correct one?

They’re both correct, depending on which you want to use in your game. We revised the Spread effect for the Klingon core book, and used that in UP. Rules digest used the version in the Starfleet core (mostly because I didn’t have time to change all the rules tweaks we made).

So, both are valid, like any tool. Just use the one more appropriate for your needs.

Ahh makes sense, thanks!

We used the Rules digest version in our game last week and it definitely made combat tenser as the shields were blown away in the first volley!

I think on balance I prefer the UP version but I can see how both have a place depending on the type of game you run.

So whats the status on the hard copies shipped from the US webpage? last I asked you mentioned “late november” so I’m curious if that’s still on track

Got my notification of shipment today here in the US. Shouldn’t be long now!

2 Likes

Shipping has commenced.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward (just got my shipping notice, today, too).

I mostly don’t buy physical books any more (just don’t have the room for more gaming supplies, sadly), but there was so much talk about how nice this particular book is that I bit the bullet. Certainly the PDF is gorgeous, with all kinds of wonderful details. Can’t wait!

BCing you

yeah I got my notice, hopefully it doesn’t get slowed down by holiday shipping times.

If it takes 10 years you got a refit in TOS/TNG eras

In Utopia Planitia, spaceframes are granted a base amount of points based on their year in service, which peters out to 1 point every 50 years after 2400. However, a ship gets a refit every 10 years. Do ships get refits every 50 years after 2400, or would a ship built in 2400 have “extra” points compared to a ship built in 2450?