Transporting Models

Currently, I have the 2 player starter set, the Survivor, Mutant, and Bos core sets, and the box with Cait, Piper and the Courser. However, I need a good way to store and transport these models from time to time. I currently have some of the Citadel cases.

What are you guys using currently to transport all of your models safely?

I usr cheap pistol cases.

PLANO 10- SE FOUR PISTOL/ACCESSORY CASE PLASTIC RIBBED

2 Likes

Had never really considered firearm cases.

A couple of other options are: There are foam trays intended specifically for models. I’ve never used them myself, but I’ve heard a lot of people speak highly of them.

If you’re going to be careful with transport, you can also use tackle boxes or other similar storage That’s how I handle it, A small bit of padding on the slots will help pad them too. This is the way I handle storage as it’s the most cost effective and I rarely transport models outside of the house.

1 Like

I also use the core box that I put a couple of layers of foam sound proofing tiles. They com in 1 foot squares and aopear to be the same foam thats used to mini carriers but much cheaper. In the neighborhood of a dollar a tile.

3 Likes

I’m boring and use games workshop army cases

3 Likes

I have magnetised all of them and transporting (and storing) them in Vault Tech and Nuka Cola tin boxes.

2 Likes

A friend of mine that I play the game with has his models inside of a tackle box, but he hasn’t had to transport them. I currently play the game with another friend of mine at our local game store and I know I’ll need to transport them safely in my car.

I have about 5 GW Cases and I’m leaning toward using that, too.

Very nice!

Another thing to consider, if you’re only taking a few models with you at a time, you could do the cheap storage, then the gun case or foam tray system just for the stuff you plan to transport.

2 Likes

I use the Magnarack tray system from Battle Foam. Too many thin weapons to catch on foam for me.

1 Like

I bought a brownie pan with a tall lid, and used sheet magnets cut to size on the bottom of the models to magnetize them to it. Works pretty good. Plan on painting it appropriately eventually.

1 Like

Very nice. Just be sure to keep them covered if it ever rains.

1 Like

I can carry a ruined city street’s worth of terrain in this “Vault-Tec” foam-lined shipping case of mine. :smiley:

For long-term storage and organization, I use Portable Warfare “APC” boxes (keyboard boxes with foam-lined interiors), which I can pretty easily label with printed elements, or just write on as needed.

For in-store games, convention scenarios, or traveling to run a game at a friend’s house, I often use Portable Warfare “Sergeant” bags – zip-up bags with lots of side pockets, and stacks of foam-lined trays inside. One nice feature is that I can link them together and stack them (though it’s not practical to stack them more than two high or so and still expect to carry them). I’ll often still take a few APC boxes along (especially the ones I’ve dedicated to holding smaller scenery pieces), but when I know I just want a select number of minis, I’ll often temporarily transfer those over to smaller foam trays to line up in the Sergeant bag, rather than taking a huge stack of sorted APC boxes.

2 Likes

I glue a 3x1mm magnet under my minis and keep them in cookie tins! Great protection and pretty cost-effective, also fits most models (except tall ones like a behemoth).

Here’s my blue “Vault-Tec” bag: I used a stencil (the same one I used for my Vault-Tec “crate”) to roughly apply the edges of the “Vault-Tec” letters and logo to the fabric, rather than slathering on the paint (or taking my chances with spraying it on), as I was concerned about the paint “bleeding” past the stencil. I basically applied a bunch of dots of paint along the edges and especially the corners so that when I removed the stencil I’d have a “connect-the-dots” guideline to use. Despite my effort, there were still a few minor blotches where the paint expanded underneath the stencil anyway (I suspect a bit of “capillary action” being involved), so after filling in the white lettering and logo, I used some dark blue paint to try to clean up the edges.

I have some fabric acrylic medium that I’ve mixed in to paints before to apply to T-shirts – the idea is that you can then put the fabric between a couple of sheets of wax paper and use an iron to “fix” the paint and medium for a more permanent result (so it’ll survive going through the wash), but I just don’t see myself sending a Sergeant bag through the wash (or at least I really HOPE NOT), and in this case if there’s any wear to the paint, it should be pretty easy for me to touch up (or just to pass it off as only appropriate because, hey, this is post-apocalyptic).

2 Likes