Numeric physics values, plus Treknobabble!

I’ve always felt one key aspect of any Trek game is technobabble or Treknobabble, and I’m happy to see the robust table in the Ops book. As a companion for players, I was wondering if anyone had put together a quick reference guide of important or key values so players can ad lib scenes. For example, “binding energy of the Earth: 2x10^32 Joules, Quantum Torpedo explosive strength 200 isotons”, that sort of thing. I did a quick search but didn’t see anything of the sort, but wanted to see if there was something before starting on my own.

Also, please permit me to present my addendum to the Treknobabble chart in the Ops book, adding columns for colorful descriptions of catastrophic damage to systems!
Status

5 Likes

In Voyager, medical technobabble consisted of:

Roll d20
1-19: Cortical
20: Something else

Seriously, watch Voyager and make a drinking game out of how often they use a “Cortical X, Y, or Z” and you’ll be drunk before you know it.

… the cortical quantum flux capicitor!

“iso” is not a prefix for numbers, as far as I remember, so an isoton is not a unit of explosive force. :stuck_out_tongue:

The star trek technical manual might have information like this. I know the energy produced by the engines might be measured in Gigajoules.

You remember wrong, but are correct that it’s not part of the SI sequence.

In medicine and science «iso-» stands for equal-measures… as in isotonic (having the same basic chemistry)…
10 isotons thus is 10 identical tons…

Nonsense use, but the prefix is a standard in chem and medicine. Have a reference link: https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10190

Yes, I’m familiar with ISO meaning similar, I use isothermic, isobaric, etc, in my engineering, it’s just that yes the use of it was nonsense and it doesn’t directly have anything to do with numbers. So my statement about them being a prefix for numbers still stands. You can say “gigaton” where it is used to represent a number of tons, but “isoton” is not a number, it is to say that whatever you have for tonnage stays the same. EDIT: Don’t even try it Anakin, I have the high ground. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, actually…

Iso- is a definitive measure of explosive yield in Star Trek, most commonly the isoton. And yes, it makes no sense from a real world perspective but I’m assuming that’s intentional, much like the Enterprises’s computer having “gigiaquads” of memory.

Sorry, looks like the high ground just got you backlit

I have the high ground in real life, trek writers have the low ground in knowing what they’re talking about :confused:, oh well. Heck, I’ve seen all of trek and forgot about them using isoton, I wouldn’t want to confuse any players by using such a nonsense term.

I laughed really, really hard when Trek said the Flux Capacitor was damaged.