New Spaceframes from Lower Decks and More

The PDF in the original post was created with MacOS Pages. But in case you do not own a Mac or the money to buy this “Pages” (I haven’t checked whether it’s for free or not), the layout is still pretty basic and can be done with any modern word processor as, e.g. LibreOffice (Win/Mac/Linux), Apache OpenOffice.org (Win/Mac/Linux) or Microsoft Word.

For advanced use on a budget, I’d recommend to take a look at Scribus. But, honestly, a word processor will do.

I use libre office but I wanted to know if there was an easy way to replicate the rule book look and feel. ( I’m making a character sheet)

@betatester Already got you covered for the basics. :wink:

In case there are specifics, feel free to open another thread over here in the “Star Trek Resources” subforum and give me a mention. I’ll gladly support. My own sheets are not for public display right now, I don’t have the time. I use LibreOffice, too. :slight_smile:

Thanks @Sutehp for all your work. I haven’t received the document yet, maybe Dropbox takes a while to process. I figured that there were some grammatical errors since I’m not a native speaker. I’m still on the fence regarding the potential Emmett Till–Curiosity connection. The Yeager’s scale depends on your article. Right now I’m leaning towards scale 4, but I’m always open to new thoughts that may change my mind.

@betatester As @MisterX already discovered, I’m using Pages for Mac. But I don’t think I used any features that other word processors don’t offer as well. You need of course some LCARS assets, but there should be plenty of those out there.

Whoops, actually, Shran, I’m still working on the edits; I haven’t put it in your Dropbox folder yet.

And I spotted an issue last night that I need your permission on: concerning the Parliament-class, you wrote that it’s a multi-role frigate designed to replace the New Orleans-class. There’s just a couple of problems with this: 1) the Parliament-class is 570 meters long according to the sources I’ve found, so it’s a full 230 meters longer than the New Orleans, which is way too big to be a frigate; and 2) According to Memory Alpha (which only uses canon information), the Parliament is specifically designed as an engineering ship judging by information from Lower Decks, not any sort of multi-role ship.

Do I have your permission to rewrite this accordingly, or do you want me to keep the original text you wrote as your own personal “headcanon?” This is your document, after all.

OK sorry for the misunderstanding :upside_down_face:

There is no canon size for the Parliament. I actually used the LCARS map to scale the decks to the California class and while the Parliament is significantly longer, about 40% of the length is just warp nacelles. When determining scale, I always mentally take away the warp nacelles.

So when taking the length of 570m without nacelles, you have 342m vs. 207m (New Orleans without nacelles). This approximately the length of the Intrepid class (scale 4). I guess you can call it a light cruiser instead of a frigate, but scale 4 seems frigate-y to me.

Regarding the engineering ship you are correct. I gave it +1 Engineering because of that, but I guess I forgot to mention it in the text. So yeah, feel free to edit anything you want. Most of it is my headcanon anyway, but read canon should supersede it.

True as you tell it: there is no canon length for the Parliament…yet. Eaglemoss just got the license for Picard and Discovery recently, but I don’t know if they got the license for Lower Decks yet. Hopefully, they will in the near future, but for now you’re right. Also, by the same token, I also sometimes disregard a ship’s nacelles when determining its Scale…unless the nacelles seem to make up a significant portion of its mass. So, in other words, I don’t take the nacelles into account…unless I do. :crazy_face: Yeah, it’s a subjective thing and I try to take that into account in my Eaglemoss article where appropriate.

In any case, I’ll make the Scale edit an optional change.

As for the engineering stuff, it’s only a change of two sentences, so it’s no big deal. I’m already working on it as I type this.

After that, I just have to edit the Yeager and the starship talents (the Prometheus doesn’t need to be edited; it’s fine as is). I should be done within the hour.

1 Like

DONE! Draft 1 is in your Dropbox, Shran!

1 Like

I’ve seen it and already incorporated the changes. Thank you very much, I really love the edits! The text is much better reading now. In the latest version, I actually had the Parliament class at scale 5 already, I just forgot about it.

Scale 4 for the Cheyenne is kind of how you look at it. There is not much canon information, only background information about the model they used. A scaled-down Galaxy saucer (like in the New Orleans class) which they apparently used does not make much sense to me. As every engineer will tell you, you can’t just arbitrarily scale up or down stuff. And such a small saucer that only contains a couple of decks would have some weird outer windows with a ridiculous slope. So I imagine the Cheyenne having just a normal-sized Galaxy saucer. But anyway, Scale 4 seems more “canonical”.

I kept the name Emmett Till for now, just for “brand recognition” purposes. In my headcanon it is the Curiosity-class until canon or canon-adjacent sources tell me otherwise.

And I added you as an editor in the attributions page, I hope you don’t mind.

As for adding me as an editor, I don’t mind at all. :grin:

Of course I spot this after my players decided on a Yaeger class :grin: (I statted it as an Intrepid with Phaser Cannons instead of Arrays for ease and speed)

Nice work, maybe once they’ve completed their first Arc I’ll move them over

Added Obena class.

1 Like

That’s the Excelsior class with the Sovereign nacelles, right? I’ll have to look at that once I get back from work.

Pretty much, yes. Plus the yellow Sovereign Deflector.

I’m liking what you wrote about the Obena class, Shran. Though if it were up to me, I think I’d choose something other than Rugged Design as one of the Obena’s base Talents. The Obena looks too “shiny” for Rugged Design; that particular Talent is meant for ships that are deployed to frontier areas far from repair facilities. OTOH, this is purely an aesthetic comment from me and who’s to say the Obena class won’t ever be deployed to the frontier on an exploratory mission where the Rugged Design Talent would be perfectly appropriate? Especially if exploratory missions are the Obena’s mandate…

Does anyone know where I can find a good starboard view of the Obena? I’m going to have Mr. Gone make a Corey-Belote style PDF of the Obena if I can find a decent profile pic of it.

Thanks for the feedback! I chose Rugged Design because it is based on the everlasting Excelsior class and improves upon it, sort of an inside joke. You could of course argue that the design is actually not that rugged because the first ship of this class we meed immediately looses a warp nacelle :stuck_out_tongue:

With my amateurish art skills I modified the Excelsior orthos by combining Excelsior class and Sovereign class.

Credit of course goes to the original author, I merely did some copy and paste. Many details are still wrong of course.

2 Likes

It wasn’t lost. They knew where it was the whole time. :slight_smile:

Gave it my best shot with what I had.

There’s a silhouette on the Cerritos viewscreen when they’re talking about their options for saving the Archimedes.

1 Like