I really want to like this game

Phaser setting can be set on area, take initiative (there’s talents for that)
Initiative can be kept
Tricorders detect life signs.
You can add support characters from security to add dices and take shots
Players must know how to take cover
Players should take care of not letting the threat grow too high (on the other side the GM should find ways to increase critical failure range)
A wound can be soaked, take cover to regain the ability,
Don’t forget medals

Of course, it involves luck. Yet, still.

Even if the players ran out of Momentum, they can still add to Threat to get the effects of Momentum spends. One Threate invested equals the first bonus dice. Now you have three dice to roll – and you can choose who rolls it. So best idea would be to let the one with the best attribute/discipline combo roll. Chance for success on each individual dice is easily 70%+ (70% equalling target-number of 14) in case of the best available combo. That is not including foci; an applicable focus setting probability of a crit to an average 10–20% (assuming, see above, it’s a discipline the character is “good” in) on each individual dice.

So chances are pretty good you get out with 3 or 4 successes. If you did a difficulty 0 check (always available to the CO/XO with “Rally”) that’s 3 to 4 Momentum. If you chose to shoot at someone (base difficulty 2) that’s still one or two, more if you’re lucky. And that’s still completely ignoring Determination.

Now, basically, spend two Momentum to keep initiative and repeat. Voilà.
(Bonus, if you got someone in the group with a talent to ignore the “keep initiative” costs. Chances aren’t that bad.)

2 Likes

If you’d like to see what STA can be I invite you to be a guest in my game. I play monthly the second Friday of the month on Discord 8-10pm EST… Let me know if you’re interested.
Garrett

I’d be interested. Unforrunatly, it’s 1-3am, so im not sure I can commit long term, but I’m certainly interested in seeing how you do things.

I do have a British accent, if you don’t mind trying to listen through it.

Only SOME momentum spends can be paid for with threat. Specifically only the ones labelled “Immediate”…
This includes extra dice, but excludes creating traits, for example.

I have a few players in my group who are not sold on the 2D20 system, at least for STA. And I’m still working through issues even a year in.

They are enjoying the game and characters we’re playing, but I that’s also part of the longtime group dynamic and fleshing these characters out

I’ve been running episodic sessions - that is I’ve been running it so that a single session is one adventure, in other words an episode of Star Trek. I’m not sure if that’s how others run the games, but that works to my general strengths as a GM

The comment relating to it being like a Director and Actors is not entirely inaccurate. The game itself refers to Acts and Scenes, Spotlights and Arcs.

I personally lean a bit into Star Trek being TV show and sometimes structure a gaming session like an episode. So for example I’ll ask what a player or the crew are respectively doing before the session properly begins. Or I just wrapped up a recurring bit where each character did a chat with the ship’s counselor as part of their regular evaluations. I’d also encourage the players to make up hobbies and side-projects, and roleplay out some of the interactions or events that may come up. Think of how there’s always that scene where the character is hanging out at the bar or practicing an instrument or something before they get called to the Bridge over the comm.

One part I do still struggle with a bit is combat, I’ll admit. One thing to consider is to not drag out the combat too much, and doesn’t necessarily have to be to the death of the last person or the other ship blowing up like in D&D. Indeed, if your Starfleet crew were to act like your average D&D adventuring party, they’d probably and rightfully end up court martialed in short order.

On that note, while D&D and Star Trek Adventures are both Roleplaying games, that’s largely where the comparison ends. D&D parties are usually left to their own devices to find their adventure, Starfleet is part of a command hierarchy with a general mission profile and more specific orders as given. D&D is about attaining riches, Star Trek doesn’t have money outside of latinum, and the rules don’t list prices, as it doesn’t need to. I’m guessing you’re not trying to play the game the same way as D&D, but it’s always worth mentioning, given that D&D and Fantasy games do have a large influence in the rpg sphere.

Unless of course you’re up against the Borg or Jem’Hadar. Even Klingons know when they should regroup or parlay. I can think of a lot of fights on the shows, both ship and in person, that were usually only a few punches or one or two phaser blasts. Emulating that is helpful, at least until you get more used to the system.

If all else fails, something I’ve done as an occasional change of pace (and with player approval ahead of time of course), is to use the holodeck to play a different game system with their STA characters as characters within that system. That got me to scratch the itch I had for wanting to run a Call Of Cthulhu scenario without really stopping the current game.

2 Likes