Federation Freedom Class Stats

Except for the Defiant and Prometheus classes (for which we have some kind of dialogue support), that’s unverified common wisdom.

Note that most of the illos I find for it lack the cannon… so it’s probably a post-wolf359 refit.

Also, the Ambassador Class Nacelles are pretty close to the Galaxy Class in look. (Close, not identical)

1 Like

The Freedom class started as just a wreck model for the Wolf 359 wreckage scenes. Galaxy nacelle was used but scaled down I believe. Another interesting feature is that the shuttle bay is lower and behind the bridge on the saucer section.

Isn’t the saucer itself cut down from the Galaxy? I’d need to go back and take a look at the Eaglemoss 3-views to be sure, but I believe it’s (literally cut back to) about half-size. That would explain the moved shuttlebay.

The same applies to the likes of the New Orleans, and some of the Wolf-359 vessels have two saucer lower or upper halves. The model-making team were quite crafty…

No, the Freedom and Niagara classes share a saucer design that is different from the Galaxy class’s saucer (but similar in general plan, with a shuttlebay below and behind the bridge module, for instance). The Freedom/Niagara saucer is flatter and closer to a perfect circle, there are fewer windows, and you’ll see more and shorter phaser arrays on both top and bottom.

Good point - I was thinking of the others.

Rats!, 'cause I wanted to have a TOS era Sabre class.

I think the stats for the Sabre class are in one of the supplements. Command Division?

Yes. Along with the Sovereign, Norway and Steamrunner, so all of the ST:FC ships are covered.

1 Like

I wonder if I’ll get a badge for necro’ing a two year old thread…

But I’m posting here to let everyone know that I’m presently working on statting the five ship classes seen at Wolf 359: the Challenger, the Cheyenne, the Freedom, the Niagara and the Springfield. All but the Challenger are complete as of this writing and I’m hoping to make them available in an article at Continuing Mission sometime in the near future (i.e. within a few weeks). I’m especially proud of the Springfield class as I adapted Mark L. Compton’s text from his Continuing Mission article detailing his homeruled version of the Nebula class’s mission pods for the Springfield.

If worse comes to worst and the ships can’t be made available on CM, I’ll post a link to my GoogleDocs for the PDFs.

1 Like

My Freedom class Light Frigate can be found here. It might be a while before Continuing Mission publishes my “Five from Wolf 359” article (weeks at least), but in the meantime, I promised a write-up for the Freedom-class so here it is. Incidentally, my pre-statted Corey Belote-style starship PDF for the Freedom can be found here. (Yes, it is Scale 5, see the USS Firebrand here on the right side of the page just above and to the left of DS9.)

Enjoy!

1 Like