Dune Most Anticipated RPG

The movie is a masterpiece, as is the cycle of dune. Just because it has many differences with the books doesn’t make it bad, you can ■■■■ history as long as you produce beautiful children’s. The lynch movie is one of the most influencial science fiction movie of all time.

How is it one of the most influential sci-fi movies? Which movies did it influence?

It can be claimed to be an interesting movie, but considering the director has actually disowned it, to claim it as a masterpiece is absurd.

You are the only person that I have ever heard call the Dune movie a masterpiece, lol. Definitely not an influential science fiction movie. Are you an employee of Universal? :laughing:

Your use of the word was in bad taste.

It’s no masterpiece, true. But it does have an absolutely amazing cast.

And they really did capture what I imagined the look of the Dune universe to be.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Everybody is entitled to have their view, but yours is against the grain. It was a critical and commercial failure. It remains interesting, but is a poor representation of the book it is based on and the themes therein.

Denis Villeneuve (do note the spelling) is a critically acclaimed director, with Arrival receiving several recognitions - Golden Globe and Oscar nominations, the Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Drama, the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation and lots of critical acclaim. Bladerunner 2049 also won Oscars and British Academy nominations, and lots of critical acclaim. Villeneuve was hired by Ridley Scott (the Producer) to direct the sequel to his own movie because he was so well in tune with the themes and style of the original film. He is also seen by many to be the best placed director to take on the Dune franchise, which will be more in tune with the themes and concepts of the book.

I think your comments are literally an insult to science fiction.

1 Like

1 Like

If I ever play Dune RPG it will be because of Lynch’s movie. I don’t even care about the books, but the movie - although I do not agree that it is a Lynch masterpiece - is a Lynch movie, with something of a Lynchean atmosphere. So, there are people who do like Dune and I’m one of them.

2 Likes

There may be some truth in that in as much that, if they were of a certain age, the movie may have been the first experience people had with the Dune concept and universe. It’s like people who may have only ever seen the Lord of the Rings movies without reading the books, or a multitude of other examples.

For me, however, the Lynch movie is not a good representation of the source - which is the book. Speaking as somebody who does care about the books, one has high hopes for what the next Dune movie - and RPG for that matter - might be like.

For me, Lynch’s movie remains a curiosity - but I suspect it may be forgotten pretty quickly if the new movie is a roaring success. My favorite Lynch movie, in retrospect, is actually The Straight Story although his masterpiece I think is now widely regarded as Mulholland Drive (even though Blue Velvet used to be the most previously cited).

I do belive it is not a good adaptation, which is not necessarily bad - I know a few fans of the books which also like the movie very much. Myself, I’m a David Lynch fan, and even if Lynch himself has a well know distaste for the movie it is still partly a Lynch movie, and it shows. I’m not sure if I ever will end up playing the TTRPG, but it is probable, as I’ve played most of the games in the 2d20 line, but I will end up playing it “wrong”, because I’ll certainly will use the movie as my source.
Anyway, the RPG will be published around the same time Villeneuve’s version hits the screens, so yeah, even if it is not a big success, probably most people will just ignore/ forget that there was a previous Dune movie.

Hi all,

Just a reminder this is a place to discuss the Dune RPG, please keep conversations on topic.

Thanks
Virginia

2 Likes

Since i’ve again been flagged, i’m gonna leave this section, it’s a waste of time if you can’t actually converse and confront opinions. To the people engaged in the discussions, it was a pleasure exchanging point of views.

Well we all seemed to have been flagged, lol. My posts didn’t seem that controversial?

Anyhow, seeing as this is the most anticipated RPG of the year, I am hoping that many folks signed up to play test, which should make the game even better.

I did play test Star Trek Adventures, I hope they do a similar play test. Different groups received different material to play test. My group would be all in for play testing the combat mechanic or combat oriented campaign. My group is very bloodthirsty, they generally just want to kill things. What’s weird about it is that my group is mostly made up of female gamers.

If Modiphius is planning a release in December, they had better get the Dune RPG choo choo going.

2 Likes

I should point out no one was flagged for engaging in discussion or challenging opinions.
You were just asked to stay on topic.

No one is stopping anyone opening a new discussion about the various movies and adaptations of Dune. In fact we welcome it.

2 Likes

Looks like the new movie is still on track for it’s release, despite the pandemic. Is the play test still on schedule? Totally understandable if not.

On that note has anyone used Roll20 for 2d20? I am currently down with the COVID, hence my games are no longer face to face. Is the system easy to use for exchange of tokens, etc.

There are several videos of groups using Roll20 for Conan, at least… you can check em in yt n see what u think.

Ive always played using Hangouts r Discord.

HtH

1 Like