Are There Chase Rules?

Are there chase rules in the game? I can’t find any.

Not specifically for chases, but depending on what you want to do with the chase, I’d suggest making it an Opposed Task (page 82 of the core) or a Challenge of some form (page 89 of the core). Either might serve to make for interesting and dynamic chase scenes.

2 Likes

I found a potential adaptation. In John Carter (the airship rules), each opponent makes a D1 test. Success means you can move one range increment. For 2 Momentum, you can move an additional range increment.

It may also be possible to adapt the extended task rules: the overall number of intervals would be the length of time required for the pursued to get away, then the breakthroughs reflect how close the pursuers are to catching them. Use threat and complications to reflect various hazards en route. It would be easy to flip this if the players are fleeing - and the breakthroughs represent way markers until they make their escape.

2 Likes

There are the rules of pursuing a vessel fleeing at warp on page 219 of the CRB, though it’s a fairly simple matter of spending more Power than the other vessel to overpace them.

If I was going to make some proper chase mechanics, I would definitely include Power as a factor, as well as have the ship take damage over time, considering it’s been demonstrated multiple times that redlining the warp engines over a sustained period of time is not great for the overall integrity.

Taking a nod from the chase rules developed for Infinity, you could easily use a modified Extended Task, where you start with the track half-full, and each side adds or subtracts Progress to represent the gap between them - the pursuer’s Breakthroughs close the distance, while the pursued side’s Breakthroughs represent increased distance. Resistance on the Extended Task represents obstacles or hazards along the route.

Base the amount of [CD] rolled per successful Task on each ship’s Conn score, with bonuses from a high Engines score (and have each Task attempted cost 1 Power, with the option to buy extra [CD] for 1 Power each as you push the engines).

2 Likes

Cool idea, thanks. I will use this for my next adventure.

I’ve written up Pursuit rules by adapting the rules from Infinity according to @Modiphius-Nathan. Generally, they function like an Extended Task with some renames.

Any Feedback, comments and criticism is most welcome! I’m still a little bit unsure what benefits a high Engines score should have.

Pace:
The Pace Track represents the progress in the Pursuit. It is the pursuer’s goal to fill the Pace Track and the pursued’s goal to reduce the Pace Track. It functions exactly like the Work Track in Extended Tasks. Should usually be between 8 and 20. The Pace Track usually starts at half its maximum value.

Distance:
The Pursuit is measured in abstract Distances. If the pursuer manages to reduce the Distance to 0, they managed to catch the pursued. If the pursued manages to increase the Distance to the maximum, they managed to escape. Distance is similar to Magnitude in Extended Tasks. Should usually be 5. Starting Distance should be about half the maximum.

Resistance:
Resistance represents obstacles such as nebulae, asteroids, etc.

Zones
Pursuits usually race through a variety of zones, such as different areas of space. The GM should adjust Traits and Resistance accordingly during the course of a Pursuit.

Pursuit Roll:
The flight controllers of each vessel make an Opposed Daring + Conn Task with Difficulty 0, assisted by the ship’s Engines + Conn. Attempting this Task consumes 1 Power.

• The winner of this Opposed Task rolls [CD] equal to 2 plus the ship’s Conn score.
  • The resulting roll increases the Pace (if they are the pursuer) or reduces the Pace (if they are the pursued)
  • If Pace is increased by 5 or more, increase Distance by 1. If Pace was already at maximum or is increased to the maximum, increase Distance by another 1.
  • If Pace is reduced by 5 or more, reduce Distance by 1. If Pace was already at 0 or is reduced to 0, reduce Distance by another 1.

Relative Size:
Smaller vessels can more easily maneuver between and around obstacles. If one vessel is smaller than its opponent, it gains the Nimble X Effect, where X is the difference in Scale between the larger and smaller vehicles.

Enhanced Propulsion:
If one of the vessels has an Engines score of at least 9, it gains the Acceleration 1 Effect. This increases to Acceleration 2 if the Engines score is at least 11.

Pushing the Engines:
You roll +1 [CD] for each additional Power you spend on the Pursuit roll.

Ship Talents:
Certain ship Talents also grant bonuses during a Pursuit:

• Improved Impulse Drive: This Talent grants the Rush Effect during a Pursuit at impulse speed.
  • Improved Warp Drive: This Talent grants the Rush Effect during a Pursuit at warp speed.
  • Improved Reaction Control System: During a Pursuit at sublight speed, ships with this Talent count their Scale as one less than normal for the purpose of determining the vessel’s relative size.

Other Bonuses:
Other Talents, Traits, or circumstances may grant bonuses as appropriate and determined by the GM. These bonuses usually grant the Acceleration 1 Effect or increase the Acceleration Effect by 1 if the participant already possesses it.

Foot or Vehicular Chases:
Pursuits on foot, in EV suits, on horseback, in ground vehicles, etc. can be handled the exact same way. The Pursuit roll changes to e.g. a Fitness + Security or Conn Task while on foot or Daring + Conn Task while in a vehicle. Roll a number of [CD] equal to 2 plus the Discipline used.

Potential Effects:

• Rush (similar to Triumphant): If the character achieves an Advance (similar to Breakthrough), and one or more Effects were rolled, then an additional Advance is achieved.
  • Nimble X (similar to Scrutinize X): The character ignores X points of the Pursuit’s Resistance for each Effect rolled.
  • Acceleration X (similar to Progression X): The character makes an additional X Pace for each Effect rolled.

Momentum Spends

Spend Cost Description
Bonus Pace 1 A character can increase the total from the Pursuit roll. Each Momentum spent increases the total of the Pursuit roll by +1.
Evasion 1 R The Resistance against this Pursuit roll is reduced by 2 per Momentum spent.
Reroll Pace 1 The player may reroll any number of Challenge Dice from the current Pursuit roll.
Create Hindrance 1 R Increase the Resistance of the Pursuit Track by +1 per Momentum Spent. This only affects the opponent’s next Pursuit roll and lasts only for that roll.
9 Likes

Very well done Shran! Good work!

Very nice! I’d personally have left the bonus for Engines at “Higher Engines = Acceleration 1”, as Engines already determine the ship’s Power, which already gives them an edge, but that’s really a matter of personal preference.

1 Like

Bookmarked - very impressive :smiley: